Author Topic: 1st Service and oil  (Read 2681 times)

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
1st Service and oil
« on: 13 March 2018, 20:21 »
My R goes in for it's first service on Monday and I just want to be sure everything's getting done right. I'm going to specify that they do not clean my car and they do not add any windscreen fluid but is there anything else I should look out for?

I did get in touch with them to find out what oil they would be using and they said "Mobil oil 5W 30 longlife synthetic for petrol vehicles" - Does that sound okay?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: 1st Service and oil
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2018, 20:54 »
I also ask them not to wash my car and get the service advisor to write this on the work sheet. I put my ‘do not wash’ hanger on the interior rear view mirror and tie a ‘do not wash” tag on my keys. I also try and ensure my car’s clean whenever it goes into the dealers for any servicing, warranty or repair work so it’s easier for the service advisor to agree it’s damage-free when they do the walk around to check for any existing damage. I think some forum members also take photos, so if any damage does happen, they can show it happened while on the dealer’s premises. Overkill? I don’t think so, after having my mk5 Golf scratched while in for service a few years ago but I only discovered the damage when I got home so couldn’t prove it happened while at the dealers.

I also take a photo of the mileage reading, so I can see if it’s been ‘road tested’ (shouldn’t need to be for a standard first service).

Provided the oil meets VW spec (which it should do if it’s what a VW dealer is using for servicing), it should be OK. I did see that the oil top up kits that my dealer is currently selling were also Mobil oil.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2018, 21:09 »
You may have specified not to top up the screenwash but check the invoice to see if you have been charged (regardless of whether you are getting a free service or not). If it is on there be sure to get a bottle.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2018, 18:11 »
I also ask them not to wash my car and get the service advisor to write this on the work sheet. I put my ‘do not wash’ hanger on the interior rear view mirror and tie a ‘do not wash” tag on my keys. I also try and ensure my car’s clean whenever it goes into the dealers for any servicing, warranty or repair work so it’s easier for the service advisor to agree it’s damage-free when they do the walk around to check for any existing damage. I think some forum members also take photos, so if any damage does happen, they can show it happened while on the dealer’s premises. Overkill? I don’t think so, after having my mk5 Golf scratched while in for service a few years ago but I only discovered the damage when I got home so couldn’t prove it happened while at the dealers.

I also take a photo of the mileage reading, so I can see if it’s been ‘road tested’ (shouldn’t need to be for a standard first service).

Provided the oil meets VW spec (which it should do if it’s what a VW dealer is using for servicing), it should be OK. I did see that the oil top up kits that my dealer is currently selling were also Mobil oil.

Good info there on the do not wash and pics for damage. In an ideal world you shouldn't have to do it but having seen how some dealers wash cars  :shocked:  it is certainly not overkill.

For the OP I'd personally stick to Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5W-30 oil as it is what V.W. recommend and it has a U.V dye in it too which can be useful for any warranty related engine issues but I'm sure the Mobil oil that the dealer has mentioned is perfectly fine. Mobil stuff is good. Most dealers that I know of use Castrol or Quantum so interesting to hear of some using Mobil.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2018, 18:15 »

Good info there on the do not wash and pics for damage. In an ideal world you shouldn't have to do it but having seen how some dealers wash cars  :shocked:  it is certainly not overkill.

For the OP I'd personally stick to Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5W-30 oil as it is what V.W. recommend and it has a U.V dye in it too which can be useful for any warranty related engine issues but I'm sure the Mobil oil that the dealer has mentioned is perfectly fine. Mobil stuff is good. Most dealers that I know of use Castrol or Quantum so interesting to hear of some using Mobil.

Yeah, I questioned them about Mobil and they said it's what they use but they're going to order me in some Castrol Edge Professional and not charge me any extra for it. Also, I've been speaking with one person throughout and going to get them to specify no wash and no windscreen fluid when I go in on Monday.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2018, 18:30 »
Make sure it is the Castrol Edge Professional and not just the standard Castrol Edge. While very similar, they are not the same oil, the Professional version being the better of the two.

Can I ask why you specify no screen wash top up? That's a new one to me.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2018, 19:15 »
Make sure it is the Castrol Edge Professional and not just the standard Castrol Edge. While very similar, they are not the same oil, the Professional version being the better of the two.

Can I ask why you specify no screen wash top up? That's a new one to me.

Yep, I sent them an email and when she called this morning she also said Castrol Edge Professional had been ordered so all good.

TBH, the screen wash is just because I prefer Autoglym and so want to keep just using that. No idea what they'd go and stick in there.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2018, 21:30 »
Ah I see. They would most likely use genuine V.W. screen wash - G052164M2. Blue stuff that comes in a clear bottle (used to come in a silver/grey bottle). I'm using it at the minute and it is good.
When that runs out I want to try AMDetails Hydrophobic screen wash - https://www.amdetails.co.uk/screen-wash-ready-to-use-five-litre
I must try the Autoglym screen wash sometime too.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2018, 21:40 by JHWP »

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2018, 21:34 »
Ah I see. They would most likely use genuine V.W. screen wash - G052164M2. Blue stuff that comes in a clear bottle (used to come in a silver/grey bottle). I using it at the minute and it is good.
When that runs out I want to try AMDetails Hydrophobic screen wash - https://www.amdetails.co.uk/screen-wash-ready-to-use-five-litre
I must try the Autoglym screen wash sometime too.

Not the same but I remember using Rain X years ago and hated it It left a film on the window which was great at repelling the rain when you were going really quickly but regular driving you had to use windscreen wipers and it smeared like anything - not good at night. I'm sure the technology has moved on since then.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2018, 21:43 »
I've not used Rain X but that doesn't sound too good. Might just stick to the V.W. stuff then, if it aint broke and all that...