Author Topic: Mud flaps  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
Mud flaps
« on: 11 July 2019, 22:13 »
Hi all, new member here. Have recently purchased 16reg gti PP. Am considering mud flaps and wondering has anyone any pics of there's an link to where can b sourced? Tia
Gti PP 2016 tornado red Dsg

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Mud flaps
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2019, 09:19 »
Google it or do a search on here, there's been plenty of previous threads on the subject. As for where to get them, ebay or a main dealer?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2019, 09:55 »
Some VW dealers have an on line parts and accessories shop. I’ve used vwmotorparts.com (part of the Cox Motor Group) before and found their service to be excellent and their prices are usually discounted. They have mud flaps for the mk7 GTI on their website - links below. I’m assuming your car is a pre-facelift GTI (mk7 and not a mk7.5) as it’s a 2016 reg car.

Front - part no.; 5GV075116 (shows an image of the rear mud flaps but the description / details are for the front pair);
https://www.vwmotorparts.com/accessories-c-37_93_134/genuine-vw-golf-mk7-gti-gtd-front-mudflaps-p-869.html

Rear - part no.; 5GV075105
https://www.vwmotorparts.com/accessories-c-37_93_134/genuine-vw-golf-mk7-gti-rear-mudflaps-p-870.html

If you do a google search on the part numbers you may find them cheaper elsewhere.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2019, 21:41 »
Thanks for help guys. Yes it's mk7 I think car looks bare without them anyone else think that? They are pricey little strips of plastic!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2019, 05:27 »
Welcome Vw80.

If you’re used to looking at cars with mudflaps then I guess a Golf without them looks a little bare.

Most of the rest of us would say the Golf looks cluttered and the lines ruined with them fitted.

But if you like them then that’s all that matters, aside from the fact they do cost rather a lot!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2019, 18:45 »
Ya am undecided if like them on or not. I'm not a weekly car washer so hopin flaps may help keep it cleaner longer? Has any member a pic of there car with mud flaps to help me decide. Thanks for all advice.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2019, 20:46 »
Ya am undecided if like them on or not. I'm not a weekly car washer so hopin flaps may help keep it cleaner longer? Has any member a pic of there car with mud flaps to help me decide. Thanks for all advice.

Here’s one from the used cars section of VW’s website with mud flaps fitted.

https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/20-tsi-gti-220ps-dsg-5dr-r7b2gg8

If you scroll through the pictures of the car, you can see side and rear profile pictures of what a GTI looks like with mud flaps.

I had mud flaps on most of my previous cars but don’t have them on my current car (Polo GTI) because VW don’t make them to fit the Polo GTI. I have to say that I’ve not missed them. My car doesn’t seem to get any dirtier without mud flaps than previous cars did with them, and in nearly 3.5 years of ownership it has virtually no stone chips down the sides of the car or along the sills either, and picks up very few far spots. I also prefer the cleaner lines of a car without mud flaps - that’s just my opinion though.

With the ‘two box’ shape of modern hatch back cars, the airflow over the moving car creates a vacuum effect behind the car that sucks dirt onto the tailgate and rear screen in wet weather. This’ll happen whether mud flaps are fitted or not. Mud flaps might reduce road spray for the benefit of following drivers, but with the Golf’s mud flaps being quite short, they probably don’t reduce road spray that much.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2019, 20:55 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2019, 23:48 »
I have them in mine - wouldn’t be without them - saves the car from unsightly stone chips etc. My GTi is white and I quite like the look with the flaps fitted.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2019, 00:18 »
Just NO ! they don’t belong on a GTi. And for people saying they avoid stone chips,absolute tosh. Stone chips don’t happen there. They happen on the bonnet and front bumper just like any other car. Flaps belong on corollas. Just my 2c on course.  :laugh:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2019, 07:56 »
But you do get chips on the cill and rear bumper but we’ll call it gravel rash  :grin: