Author Topic: DA polisher for buffing  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
DA polisher for buffing
« on: 12 March 2022, 13:33 »
Hi all!

On day one after picking my car up and asking the dealer not to wash it, I washed, polished (BH cleanser polish) and waxed (BH double speed) my new pride and joy. The car looked great and I’ve since done a quick wash and dry with some QD as a drying aid.

I’m considering a dewalt cordless DA polisher (I’ve already got dewalt tools so the “base only” version is good value), but I can’t find any guidance online regarding my specific needs for a DA polisher. 

Obviously on a new car that’s correctly washed from day 1, I shouldn’t need an aggressive polish for quite a while…. Hopefully. But, I am planning to use the cleanser polish and wax as required for protection.

My questions are:

~Is it safe to use a DA machine polisher to buff the polish and wax as required, every 6 months?
~Would using this often wear the top coat?
~Is it even if any real benefit? Time saving? Better/more even coverage?
~Any advice or tips on using for this function?
~All recommendations are welcome….
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: DA polisher for buffing
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2022, 21:48 »
I think you're a little confused on the purpose of a machine polisher, a machine polisher is mostly used with abrasives to remove larger defects like swirls and deep scratches from the paint, along with it can be used to apply sealants but doesn't really benefit this.

A new car can require polishing immediately, there's many reasons why including scratches, sanding marks from factory etc.

You specified sing bilt hamber cleanser polish, this is a polish meant to be applied by hand there are different polishes for da machines, BH Cleanser is typically weaker as it's meant for hand use.

But to answer your questions:

~Is it safe to use a DA machine polisher to buff the polish and wax as required, every 6 months?

No, you only want to polish a car when it's required as you're removing clear coat every time. Wax should generally be applied every 3 months and is best applied by hand.

~Would using this often wear the top coat?

As above yes, if you want to get technical you can use a paint gauge to see how many microns it removes from the paint.

~Is it even if any real benefit? Time saving? Better/more even coverage?

Massive benefits in looks and time savings to comparable time spent or correction levels, coverage would be the same.

~Any advice or tips on using for this function?

Watch lots of youtube videos on it (Larry at Ammo NYC does great ones) as I think you need more knowledge on the process, before committing to investing money into it as it quickly breaks the £200 mark for the required extras.

~All recommendations are welcome….
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2022, 09:50 »
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Since my original post, I’ve done a lot more reading and everything you stated there rings true.

To be honest, I’ve well and truly got the detailing bug now and was considering a new toy if it speeds up some of the LSP process. Not that I don’t like taking my time, but with young kids etc. a full free day to do what I want is rare.

The car paint from the factory was very good condition and the effort I put in on day one had stunning results, so I think for the time being I’ll stick to what I’m doing and the money can be spent better elsewhere. I’ll comeback to machine polishing in a few years if the car needs a spruce up.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2022, 15:10 »
A machine shouldn't be necessary for buffing off products.

When polishing, the abrasiveness of the product will reduce the more it is worked and it will eventually break down to a haze which can be lightly wiped away with a soft micro fibre cloth. Use too much, or take it off too early and it will still be 'cutting' as you rub it off.

With wax, it only needs to be applied very sparingly. Dolloping it on thickly means more to take off. The stuff that you take off is just wasted product. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2022, 09:31 »
Regards the DeWalt, make sure it’s not a rotary and is a DA as rotary machines need a lot more skill to use to avoid marring or burning the paint. I’ve been using a DAS Pro6 for maybe 12 years and never burned paint (yet lol).

As mentioned above you should only polish when you feel you need to, and be sensible about what you can and can’t polish out. Chasing a deep scratch may end up with your pad turning coloured as you go through your clear coat.

I use my DA to apply sealant on its lowest speed with a dedicated and super soft applicator pad. It doesn’t do it any better than using a hand pad but it’s so much faster and nicely thin and even. Buff off by hand is then a doddle.

If you’re new to detailing then YouTube is your friend with channels like the forensic detailing channel and chemical guys doing tutorials.