Poll

Which wheels do you have and did you spec DCC?

Parkers/Austins - no DCC
8 (22.9%)
Parkers/Austins - with DCC
6 (17.1%)
Brescia - no DCC
8 (22.9%)
Brescia - with DCC
5 (14.3%)
Seville - no DCC
2 (5.7%)
Seville - with DCC
0 (0%)
Santiago - no DCC
1 (2.9%)
Santiago - with DCC
2 (5.7%)
Other/after market - no DCC
2 (5.7%)
Other/after market - with DCC
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: 10 February 2019, 13:08

Author Topic: Wheels  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: Wheels
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2019, 15:00 »
I seriously think you might be over thinking this now!  :grin:
I concur!  :grin:

go and test drive back to back, it's the only way you'll know for sure. Every has their own opinion which is subjective due to so many circumstances such as types of driving, age, threshold to comfort, area they live, types of car they are used to and are coming from... etc etc!  :laugh:

The dealer only has one GTI, and that has 19" Brescia with DCC.  Felt fine to me.  But if losing DCC makes it all hard/lumpy/skittish then I am going to be majorly p***d off, hence the procrastination.

Anyhoo... order was placed Monday and I think I have till end of day today to make any final tweaks.  I may drop the Brescia's for the Parkers, and get DCC instead.  Wheels can easily be changed later.  DCC cannot.  :shocked:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2019, 15:02 »
The dealer only has one GTI, and that has 19" Brescia with DCC.
Could you go to another dealers that does have a non DCC equipped car?
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2019, 15:04 »
Nope. Order already placed, will be locked after today so no time now. I was a little too hasty to pull the trigger. But like Brexit lol.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2019, 15:14 »
Only you can make the value judgment - looks v ride-
sounds to me like you want your cake to eat!
I have done around 800 miles in mine now, Parkers, no dcc
Ride is outstanding for a car of this type, i’m sure you’ll be ok with 19” wheels.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2019, 01:22 »
I seriously think you might be over thinking this now!  :grin:
I concur!  :grin:

go and test drive back to back, it's the only way you'll know for sure. Every has their own opinion which is subjective due to so many circumstances such as types of driving, age, threshold to comfort, area they live, types of car they are used to and are coming from... etc etc!  :laugh:

....  I may drop the Brescia's for the Parkers, and get DCC instead.  Wheels can easily be changed later.  DCC cannot.  :shocked:

Got it in one.  Wheels can be changed later.  You may even pick up a 2nd hand set cheap.  IMO DCC expands the car's range of talents enormously - you get two cars in one.  You won't regret specifying it.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2019, 09:10 »
Changing your wheels later may also increase your insurance premium, so there maybe extra costs there. 

When I had my 7R I had 19" Pretorias without DCC and imho the ride was fine.  I currently have a CS with 19s and DCC and I have the DCC on comfort all the time for a better ride.  Normal and sport are just too firm for me, but the CS does have stiffer suspension that a standard GTI.  If it were me, I would have the 19s and no DCC.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2019, 09:25 »
You can buy Brescia alloys for roughly £1000. They serve no purpose other making the car look nice, they're not lightweight either.

Alternatively

Aftermarket DCC will cost you £2,000 and actually makes the car better.

Go DCC then get the wheels at a later date. You can always keep the standard Parkers for winter wheels.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2019, 10:11 »
I had 19” Pretoria’s and no DCC on my R and for the majority of the time it was fine apart from when driving on some of the more potholed ice damaged roads when it did become a bit crashy. I now have 19” Brescia’s and no DCC and this one rides absolutely fine with none of the occasional crashiness that blighted my R  :undecided: I did think about ticking the box and did get to drive both DCC and non DCC both with Brescia’s but there was hardly and difference in my opinion and prior to driving them my salesman questioned the need for it. He reckoned most people that spec it just blindly tick the box without trying it first !!  I am fine with my decision not to spec it on my current car. Not sure I would go as far as to say to save a few quid as I ticked enough other box’s  :whistle: but fortunately we are not wired the same so it only matters what you think as it’s your car at the end of the day!
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2019, 10:21 »
Most salesmen know bugger all about the product they are selling so I wouldn't take any notice of anything they say about options and if they any good or not. The R on 19s drove fine when I was looking for my GTi but it does weigh more than a GTi so that helps. I've had DCC on my Gtd and GTi and would spec it again but that's my preference. It's not a waste of money or something that's not need it's an option that some tick and some don't.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2019, 11:23 »
Ok final decision has been made, despite changing my mind at least a dozen times and changing the order with the dealer three times - they must really hate me.

I’ve gone with the Brescias because they really make the car in my view. I just find the Parkers too ordinary looking. I’m pushing way over my budget with DynAudio, metallic paint and the wheels so really don’t have anything left in the kitty for DCC as well - which is why this has been such a dilemma. I’m not Jeremy Clarkson and can’t simply tick every box there is and pay in cash so compromises have to be made.

Final spec:
GTI PP, Isaac Blue, Brescias, DynAudio. The new MY19 model has matrix LED, HBA, Lane Assist, virtual cockpit (or whatever VW call it) etc all as standard now.

Incidentally - looking at the votes, the choice between Parkers and Brescias and DCC or no DCC is split right down the middle.

First world problems, hey?  I’m just grateful I’m lucky enough to be able to buy such a lovely car.