Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529533 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #2040 on: 21 July 2019, 15:58 »
Rid it of sand pox!

It was an interesting look! Lovely now though!

Thanks Watts. 

Leopard print better on shoes than Rs!   :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2041 on: 21 July 2019, 17:36 »
Rid it of sand pox!

Thanks Watts. 

I don't know, leopard print trousers probably good too  :wink: :grin: :grin:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2042 on: 21 July 2019, 19:44 »

Rid it of sand pox!

Thanks Watts. 

I don't know, leopard print trousers probably good too  :wink: :grin: :grin:

Your driving trousers?   :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2043 on: 15 August 2019, 15:30 »
Finally all the planets were aligned and I was able to give my filthy car a decent wash! Only been 2 months :rolleyes:

A good soak in Gtechniq snowfoam and 2 washes was all I'd planned for but for whatever reason I decided to tackle the dozens of tar spots. Then a careful going over with my handy clay mitt and another quick wash. Once dried a single coat of wax with a final buffing from my lovely fluffy cloth. Wheels had a spray of QD and tyres dressed. Fastglass on the windows. A couple of minor scuffs were removed with some Meguiars 105 which did a great job. Yet more stone chips discovered, no panel is unscathed and the bonnet and front bumper are looking rather sad in places. It's getting so bad now I beginning to think it'll need a respray!

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2044 on: 25 August 2019, 18:10 »
My GTI has spent the last two days at the local dealer having a replacement thermostat housing, and I've been driving around in a courtesy car, a white Polo proclaiming in large red numerals on both sides to the great unwashed that they could be driving one too, for the paltry sum of £199 down, and £199 per month thereafter.

Only a couple of my neighbours noticed, and were kind enough to comment!

Yesterday, the world was restored to its axis, and I got my car back, complete with a greasy hand print on the front of the bonnet, so I treated it to a full snow foam, rinse, citrus pre-wash, shampoo with Gyeon Bathe+ and a blow-dry with my BigBoi dryer.

The plan for today was to treat the black plastic bits with Auto Finesse Dressle, and the tyres with Gyeon tyre dressing, but I've been watching the Test match instead.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2045 on: 26 August 2019, 10:33 »
Update:  We won, so today I'm back on the case and have already done the black plastic trim, including the grilles, which always seem to take forever, tyres, and got slightly carried away and given the engine bay a quick wipe and a going-over with Aerospace 303, which I'd been meaning to do, but never actually got around to it.

I'm now about to tackle what I consider to be one of the worst, and most awkward, cleaning jobs on any modern car - the inside of the windscreen.

Maybe it's because it involves unnatural contortions in a confined space, and I have some titanium rods and screws holding my lower back together, but I hate this job.  The only tool that I've found which makes it less unpleasant is this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Glass-95161-Reach-Windscreens/dp/B0017K69MA/ref=sr_1_5?crid=160LK3DSMUC87&keywords=stoners+invisible+glass+cleaner&qid=1566811786&s=gateway&sprefix=stoners%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-5

Even so, the sooner it's done, the better.  Then it's just a quick interior dusting and vacuuming, and I can sit back and relax in the warm glow of a job well done. 

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2046 on: 16 September 2019, 19:07 »
Nobody else cleaning their car at the moment?

I'm taking advantage of the nice weather to start my Autumn/pre-Winter regime, which involves regular application of a good Carnauba wax (Auto Finesse Radiance), wheel sealing with GTechniq C5, and treating the black trim and tyres with Auto Finesse Dressle and Gyeon tyre dressing. 

I tend to do one thing every time I wash the car, so it doesn't mean that I spend an entire day cleaning, because I actually have a life, so none of the above in isolation adds more than an hour or so when I wash it.

I managed to kerb the front nearside wheel a while back, and it annoys me every time I look at it, so I've arranged to have it dealt with in  the next few weeks, so I'll have a matching set of immaculate Austins.  They wouldn't have been my first choice if I was speccing the car new, but I bought it pre-enjoyed.  I must say, though, of all the alloy wheels I've owned, and there have been many, they are by far the easiest to clean.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2047 on: 17 September 2019, 10:03 »
Nobody else cleaning their car at the moment?

I'm taking advantage of the nice weather to start my Autumn/pre-Winter regime, which involves regular application of a good Carnauba wax (Auto Finesse Radiance), wheel sealing with GTechniq C5, and treating the black trim and tyres with Auto Finesse Dressle and Gyeon tyre dressing. 

I tend to do one thing every time I wash the car, so it doesn't mean that I spend an entire day cleaning, because I actually have a life, so none of the above in isolation adds more than an hour or so when I wash it.

I managed to kerb the front nearside wheel a while back, and it annoys me every time I look at it, so I've arranged to have it dealt with in  the next few weeks, so I'll have a matching set of immaculate Austins.  They wouldn't have been my first choice if I was speccing the car new, but I bought it pre-enjoyed.  I must say, though, of all the alloy wheels I've owned, and there have been many, they are by far the easiest to clean.

It has gone a bit dead in here hasn't it?

Sounds like you are still keeping the flag flying though with some good efforts! Mine had a wash a few days ago, next job will be to get the wheels off for a thorough clean and decontamination. Then swap them around to even up the wear.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2048 on: 28 September 2019, 15:25 »
My R had not been washed since mid July :shocked:  I went over to the dark side and gleefully embraced the dirt for a few weeks. 😈   Anyway that came to an end today when I finally broke out the pressure washer and potions and rejoined the (detailing) Force! 

Dirty boots!

Snow foam doing its thing

Cleaned and sealed

« Last Edit: 28 September 2019, 15:42 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2049 on: 28 September 2019, 18:26 »
My R had not been washed since mid July :shocked:  I went over to the dark side and gleefully embraced the dirt for a few weeks. 😈   Anyway that came to an end today when I finally broke out the pressure washer and potions and rejoined the (detailing) Force! 

Dirty boots!

Snow foam doing its thing

Cleaned and sealed

What a fantastic shine, looks really well.