Author Topic: Europe question?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline dfsGTD

• Not said much yet
Europe question?
« on: 20 May 2019, 19:51 »
I’m taking the Golf to Europe this summer and have a couple of questions that you knowledgeable people will no doubt be able to answer
Your recommendations on breakdown cover and can the lights be adjusted in the menu for driving on the “wrong side” of the road or do I have to get the sticky beam bender things??
Cheers

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Europe question?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2019, 20:06 »
Always worth having breakdown cover, but especially when your holiday depends on having a working car. Also, in the unhappy event of a major breakdown, you should be covered for recovery of the car to your home, as well as all or part of the repair costs. Not having any cover could be very expensive indeed. I’m sure you wouldn’t go overseas without health insurance. For me it’s same difference for your car.

The headlights can be switched for driving on the right from the infotainment system.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline dfsGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2019, 22:02 »
Sorry didn't make it very clear I'll be getting breakdown cover but I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations of which company to go for AA, RAC green flag?
Thanks for your reply about the lights.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2019, 23:07 »
We used the aa although never needed it  :smiley: mind a breathalyser and high viz vest as there mandatory to have in France

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2019, 06:29 »
We've just been. We have Direct Line insurance, so rang them a couple of days before to add European breakdown cover. The woman on the phone hinted that if we took it out, we could cancel it within 14 days and get a full refund if we didn't make a claim. We were only going for 10 days, so had the cover for free.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2019, 06:56 »
If you use rac or aa book via TopCashback as you get about 25% off.

2014 gti pp dsg

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2019, 07:37 »
Yes the lights can be adjusted.

If you have a Mk7.5 though two things you will discover:

1) The ACC anti-undertake system doesn't swap sides.

2) You cannot configure the main speedo dial to show km/h, you have to use one of the sub displays which will show it after you change the units in the car setup menu. All of your sat nav then also becomes km's too...

And also, remember that speed camera detection systems (including waypoints/warnings on nav systems) are illegal in France.

Lastly, be aware that in a lot of countries (except Germany) your car will be seen as flashy and everyone will want to race you... including little old ladies in clapped out Clios.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2019, 14:34 »
We've just been. We have Direct Line insurance, so rang them a couple of days before to add European breakdown cover. The woman on the phone hinted that if we took it out, we could cancel it within 14 days and get a full refund if we didn't make a claim. We were only going for 10 days, so had the cover for free.

Mega tip! :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dfsGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2019, 14:49 »
Thanks for the info. Interesting point about cancelling however I'm with the RAC at the moment so will probably just extend to Europe cover
I have the MK7 in poverty spec so don't have sat nav.
Fred sorry I'm being thick here but are you saying if I change units in the menu my speed will read as km/h in the display on my dash?
GTD flashy I just bought it for the excellent MPG and practically of a hatchback wouldn't dream of racing any old woman in a Clio 😇😇😇

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2019, 16:01 »
Ok, on a Mk7, set the units to kmh in the menu, change the mfd (the display between the clocks) to show speed and that will show you it in km/h.

Your ACC will also be in km/h..

If you go to NL, be careful, some roads cruise control is illegal.

And yes, your GTD is flashy and people will race you (happens to me all the time in Europe)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC