Author Topic: 10 Days old gti and already a couple of problems  (Read 3693 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: 10 Days old gti and already a couple of problems
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2019, 07:07 »
On the subject of protecting the front paintwork what products do people recommend? Are films worth it or are ceramic coats better? VW are known to overcharge for their solution so interested to know what alternatives work well.

Ceramic coats prevent swirls and minor scratches but don't prevent chips.

Those self healing films are supposed to be effective, but while they remain more expensive than a front bumper and bonnet respray, they're pretty pointless.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2019, 08:17 »
On the subject of protecting the front paintwork what products do people recommend? Are films worth it or are ceramic coats better? VW are known to overcharge for their solution so interested to know what alternatives work well.

Ceramic coats prevent swirls and minor scratches but don't prevent chips.

Those self healing films are supposed to be effective, but while they remain more expensive than a front bumper and bonnet respray, they're pretty pointless.

And there are probably limitations to the self healing process of PPF too. It might self heal pretty well from scratch damage, but if it’s possible for a flying stone to actually penetrate the film, making a hole in it (and possibly chipping the paint at the point of stone impact), I wonder how effective it’s self healing properties would be.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2019, 08:51 »
My sister just got a brand new Mercedes GLC delivered (on a truck) last week and even that had a ton of squashed bugs and a stone chip on the bumper! Modern cars finishes are fragile.
It's the wretched EU again isn't it and their insistence that paints now have to be water based?

Offline neepy7.5

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2019, 11:04 »
Had to have my windscreen changed after 1 week and 250 miles. Stone chipped it on the motorway and after a couple of hours it turned into an almighty crack.
'68 7.5 Golf GTI Performance 3dr DSG, Isaac Blue