Author Topic: Buzz/rattle on the overrun/deceleration - any ideas?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline jdc0907

• Not said much yet
My GTI Performance has been in the dealers for the last week trying to figure out where this buzz/rattle is coming from. It happens in neutral and when driving but is intermittent so comes and goes, the dealer has been unable to replicate the fault but thought it may be a loose heat shield in the engine so has secured this  in place but the noise was still there on my drive home! I have attached a couple of videos here:

https://youtu.be/_QrjdCTGfrI
https://youtu.be/M8Ezgn5yi8Q

It’s a brand new 2019 model with only 2000 miles. It seems to occur when the engine is warming up and then disappears again on longer journeys. It is most audible in neutral, first and second gear. I can sometimes hear it in third but never in fourth or above. It almost sounds like a light motorcycle/scooter buzz between 2500-3000rpm. It’s going back to the dealers on Friday but if anyone has any ideas on what it could be that would be really helpful!

Many thanks
« Last Edit: 16 May 2019, 07:23 by jdc0907 »
Current: GTI Mk7.5 PP MY19
Previous: Polo BlueGT MY16

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Buzz/rattle on the overrun/deceleration - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2019, 07:35 »
I’m going to wager it’s the Soundkator problem. Go into ‘individual’ mode and switch it off, and see if the noise disappears...
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline jdc0907

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2019, 08:10 »
I’m going to wager it’s the Soundkator problem. Go into ‘individual’ mode and switch it off, and see if the noise disappears...

Sorry I should’ve said it’s still present on eco mode too!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2019, 15:03 »
I had a persistent rattle for about 9 months which I thought was coming from somewhere inside the cabin. Turns out it was the centre resonator on the exhaust and the baffles were rattling. Did actually get told by the dealer that the noise was a feature of the car and others on the forecourt made the same noise  :grin: :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2019, 16:30 »
I had a persistent rattle for about 9 months which I thought was coming from somewhere inside the cabin. Turns out it was the centre resonator on the exhaust and the baffles were rattling. Did actually get told by the dealer that the noise was a feature of the car and others on the forecourt made the same noise  :grin: :grin:

:grin:Brilliant!!

My centre resonator doesn't rattle at all - it's stood up in the garage!  :whistle:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline jdc0907

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2019, 15:29 »
Update on this - left the car with VW while I went on holiday, got it back today and all sorted (touch wood!), it was the fuel lines rattling but also noises coming from the ECU mount and air vents which have all been sorted. Certainly sounds much quieter now!

They also found my electronic differential was leaking oil (with swarf found in it) and was opened up and found to be distorted inside (I was told a manufacturing error was likely the cause of this) so a new one was replaced all under warranty. They had previously replaced the seals on the diff when they found an oil leak on it so when they saw it leaking again just 2 weeks later they investigated it further.

Needed a few trips to the dealer but it seems like everything is finally sorted, the service advisor and technician at the dealer (High Wycombe) were very helpful and friendly. My car was on PCP with VWFS so I wrote them an email about all the issues and various trips to the dealer in the last month and they have refunded me £400 which I was also quite pleased about!