Author Topic: Powder coated Santiago’s  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
Powder coated Santiago’s
« on: 27 April 2019, 19:17 »
After months of differing I’ve taken my Santiago’s in for powder coating.
The wheels have been stored in the garage over the winter and I was going to refit them yesterday,
However as nice they are I just couldn’t face another summer with the diamond cut finish, so I’ve dropped them of with a local alloy wheel refurb company and having them done in a smoked chrome finish, fingers crossed I’ve made the wright choice.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Powder coated Santiago’s
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2019, 16:43 »
Having seen photos of others done similarly they should look great and less of a worry.
Don’t forget to post some pics up  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2019, 17:56 »
Collecting the wheels tomorrow, I’ve ordered a couple of Michelin PS4’s to replace 2 x continentals which are getting close to the limit, so hopefully the Santiago’s will be back on by the weekend, I will try and post a photograph

Offline Tornado8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2019, 21:25 »
As a matter of interest, how much and have they been subject to the dreaded white worm or kerb damaged? :smiley:
Old, but a serial modder!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2019, 22:43 »
Forum member EricM posted some pictures of his Santiago alloys that’ve been powder coated in smoked chrome in the first post in this discussion thread;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278775.0
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2019, 08:21 »
Forum member EricM posted some pictures of his Santiago alloys that’ve been powder coated in smoked chrome in the first post in this discussion thread;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278775.0

These are nice alloys anyway but still definitely an uplift with the smoked chrome, they look really good :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2019, 09:35 »
As a matter of interest, how much and have they been subject to the dreaded white worm or kerb damaged? :smiley:
Only one wheel had very minor kerbing, however the alloys had previously been refurbished thru alloy wheel insurance policy due to kerbing and whiteworm, I tried to get the whiteworm affected alloys done under warranty with vw but they refused as they said it was caused by stonechips in the lacquer.
It was only a matter of time before the corrosion reappeared so that’s one of the reasons I’ve had the alloys powder coated

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2019, 11:20 »
They look good in that other thread.

I've had mine since new, had one wheel replaced already, only ever run them in summer covered with GTechniq wheel sealant and they're still  littered with whiteworm. I'll be getting them refurbed in Shadow Chrome like the when they look a bit scabby as i have had enough of the diamond cut. Ironically, my 17" Singapore winters are diamond cut and they're in better shape, just a little corrosion around each centre cap...
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2019, 16:35 »
You won’t regret it, don’t know how to upload pics, but they do look good in shadow chrome