Author Topic: Lowered car = driveshaft problem!!  (Read 943 times)

Offline Greenballs

• Just got here
Lowered car = driveshaft problem!!
« on: 02 March 2024, 09:02 »
Good morning.
First ever post on here in hope.

I own a mk7 clubsport, I’ve just had it lowered using raceline springs, 20-25mm.
Also 15mm wheel spacers.
I have standard 18” wheels.

The car looks so much better but it’s given me a problem that I can’t find anyone else has.
The car creaks loudly at the front both sides when braking and accelerating, I took the car back to the mechanic and said it’s the driveshafts.
Because the car is lower it’s taken up the slack on the shafts causing them to bind in the cv joints.
I need custom made shafts!!
This is very expensive and I’m worried it won’t fix the problem.
Is anyone able to shed some light on this?
I can’t understand why I’m having this problem and no one else is.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Offline daytona

• GTI forum regular
Re: Lowered car = driveshaft problem!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2024, 19:58 »
I'd get a second opinion. You have spacers, but they put the wheels only further away from the brake disc, not the drive shaft, they have no impact on the driveshaft at all. In respect to your lowering the car, ask a mechanic what happens to the driveshaft when you car drive on undulated roads? It goes up and down with the suspension, so why would they need replacing just because you lowered the car, AND just by the springs, the do not go in and out otherwise every car on the road they would pop out or rub constantly. Have a think about the angles of the drive shafts in relation to the wheels when you look at the from the side, they are like ball joints inside the cv and and the gearbox end and have slight space to compensate from the movement up and down. When you say creak loudly, it is high pitch squeek or suspension movement creak. I would have a look at the top shock mounts and bearing, as they do go in time, and maybe change to position has highlighted them more. Make a video of the noise if possible or loud enuf to do so.
if in doubt,rev the arse out of it