Author Topic: seat cable replacement with pics.  (Read 5841 times)

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
seat cable replacement with pics.
« on: 12 August 2007, 18:07 »
I was doing this in my project page so thought seeing as it's a common-ish problem i'd put it up here .  :smiley:

I took the seat back off, soz, no pics of that but it's dead easy.

push the 3 round plugs on the plastic trim covers out from behind and the trims pop off.

push the circlips off and waggle the seat back about til it comes off.

once you have the seat back off the fiddley part begins.

==============================================================================
this is how the wire is supposed to locate in the hook that should lift when you pull the lever up.

this is where one is missing from

these four spikes need bending upward to allow the fabric to be pulled up

leaving something to gouge your hands and arms on. nice.

once you've lifted the cover over the spikes you should be able to pull the cover 2/3rds of the way up the seat and see whats broken.

in my case this, the diagonal cable to the inside hook.

it should go across the seat back , through the loop , through a slot to the hole (arrowed) in picture 2 above

PART TWO
=================
got the cable from GSF - £4.41 . part no. 191-881-596a. remember thats for the longer inner cable.

this is how it should fit on the outside of the seat

then across the back to the inside

once its fitted and working it's time to put it all back together.

pull the seat cover down then pull the bottom up first making sure you put the metal loops (ringed in red) over the corresponding spikes.

it should now look like this

then pull the top over and bend the spikes back in.

and thats it. now just to refit into the car.  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 13 August 2007, 12:58 by monkeyalan »

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: seat cable replacement with pics.
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2008, 11:31 »
i did this the other day for the exact same cable, using the exact cable. And if you feed it through the loop without any protection each time the seat is lifted it scrapes with the loop and wear fast. The proper way to do it is get some hard plastic tubing from a spray bottle, for example kitchen cleaning bottles, open them up, and get the long plastic tubing, the cut it vertically along the tube so you can put the cable inside, you then use tape to seal it up, and feed it through the loop on the seat. Do this for both loops, and make sure you put a thick section of tape so it doesnt come off the loop, on the upper loop the tape has to be above the loop, on the lower loop, it has to be below it, that way it doesnt slide down. If you need pictures PM me.

Offline simpleton

• Not said much yet
Re: seat cable replacement with pics.
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2008, 13:46 »
excellent thread thanks very much Monkeyalan just a wee tip to people who are going to try when pulling back the leather back and the front material be very carefull as i have torn my sponge down the middle.This happens as there is a spring running along side the sponge.

very good tut thanks very much.

Simp