Author Topic: HOW TO: Remove aerial (8v) and fit blanking plate  (Read 6074 times)

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
HOW TO: Remove aerial (8v) and fit blanking plate
« on: 03 January 2007, 15:50 »
Job difficulty: Easy
Tools needed :
-flat headed screwdriver
-trolly jack
-8mm socke-Torch
(possibly wheel brace)
-Aerial Blank
-insulating tape

First off aerial blank can be found easily. Anyone breaking a 16v should have one, as they have roof mounted aerials. If not you may find a similar sized one in a general DIY store. I aqcquired a 16v blank off a member off this forum. :smiley:

Right to start off undo the nut on the top of the aerial so it undoes and remove all of it except the stem, then remove the scuttle tray and you should see a thick black wire and a smaller blue and green wire. I cut both of these and insulated them with tape. Later on i'll remove the big one through the bulk head by removing the head unit.

Jack the car up on the point behind the front passenger wheel. I didn't remove the wheel as i had enough room (14 inch wheels...) jack it up quite high. Now on the right side of the arch (looking at it) start removing the 8mm bolts holding in the arch liner. I only needed to remove 4 bolts and pull the lining back to reveal the inner wing. This is where the torch is your best friend...look into the arch and you should be able to see a big mechanism hanging on a bracket. I undid the screw on the bottom end, and left the bracket there (it started to rain!!). The aerial should fall down or maybe with a bit of encouragement...(Fielders advice: make sure it don't chip your painwork on the way down!). You should now have the aerial in your hand. Clean around the hole and place the blanking plate in. Then re-do all the 4 bolts on your arch liner. and the job's a good'un.

Note: i didn't find it necessary to remove the whole arch linig just 4 bolts and hold it back..though i do have small hands!

Hope this helps people...

i'm about to put a picture of the aerial up...

Tim

Offline NewStu

• Here all the time
Re: HOW TO: Remove aerial (8v) and fit blanking plate
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2007, 16:08 »
just to add, a small smear of silicone round the blank should help prevent rust.

Offline Uku

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2007, 21:12 »
if your a real lazy git like me , just push the old aerial into arch and leave it there lol , its still in there to this day hehe , couldnt be bothered to remove arch liner.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2007, 12:33 »
if your a real lazy git like me , just push the old aerial into arch and leave it there lol , its still in there to this day hehe , couldnt be bothered to remove arch liner.

It's only 4 bolts mate. And you fold it back, you don't even remove it! It's really easy...trust me I managed it... :grin: