Author Topic: HOW TO: Install a DIY Lights on Warning Buzzer  (Read 11484 times)

Offline JMallows

• I live here
HOW TO: Install a DIY Lights on Warning Buzzer
« on: 06 October 2004, 21:40 »
DIY Lights on Warning Buzzer

Equipment needed:
?   12V Buzzer
?   Cross head screwdriver
?   Wire
?   Small flat head screwdriver.

Process:

1.   Remove the under dash tray from under the steering wheel. Undo all the screws around the outside with the crosshead screwdriver. There?s about five or six.

2.   Remove the driver?s door switch. Easy, undo the single screw holding it to the body, then pull out. Be careful not to shut the door with the switch out, it bends it a bit. You don?t have to remove the wire going to the back.

3.   Remove the heated rear screen switch. Set the switch to the on position, and lever it out from the bottom using the flat head screwdriver. There is a little slot for the driver to fit into. Again you don?t need to remove the wires.

4.   Get your buzzer. You need to test if it?s electrolytic, connect the wires to something 12V, e.g. the interior light connector (take out the light and stick the wires into the red and brown wires on the connector) if it buzzes good, then swap the wires over. If it still buzzes then it will work however you wire it, if not then you need to remember which is negative, and which is positive. Do this by making it buzz, and the wire that is attached to the live is positive, and vice-versa. When you have determined which wire from the buzzer is + and which is ? remember them! They should be red and black, but you never know!

5.   Attach the buzzer to the inside of the dash tray. I attached it to the far right hand side, but as long as you can put the tray back in, anywhere will do.

6.   Take the wire from the buzzer that is the negative wire and route it to the right hand side of the car. You have to pass it through the sound deadening and into the cavity behind. You should then be able to pass it through the hole for the door switch. So, you know have a wire running from the buzzer to somewhere near your switch. Attach the wire to either, the brown wire going to the door switch, or to the connector that the brown wire connects to. As long as it doesn?t connect to the metal that the screw touches, it?s fine. Now pop the door switch back in and screw it up.

7.   Take a wire from the positive side of the buzzer up through the dash to the heated rear screen switch. You need to attach it to the positive connector for the lights. To find this connector remove the switch from the plug, switch on your headlights, and get the multimeter out. When the meter reads ?+? 12V, then the red wire from the multimeter is attached to the positive light connector. Now attach the red wire from the buzzer to this wire, either, splice the wire on, or much easier, poke the wire through the hole on the switch. When you plug the connector back on, it will be fine. Stick the switch back in.

8.   Reattach the under dash tray.

9.   Shut door.

10.   Turn on lights. There should be no buzzer sound, open door and buzzer will go off. Shut door, it will go off again. If you have a delay light it will buzz until the light goes off.

Let me know of any problems.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2005, 10:06 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Rain

Re: DIY Lights on Warning Buzzer
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2004, 21:54 »
doesnt work for parking lights, but otherwise the simplest way really.

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2004, 22:38 »
I don't really think that matters all that much. I never need to have it for the parking lights!

Rain

« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2004, 22:43 »
yer know what ya mean i dont use them either but i signal to turn into my drive and end up going in doors leaving them on its a pain in the butt. cant help thinking there must be a simpler way with the buzzers but seems that alot of german cars are the same even bmw's and porsches didnt have them till late 90's lots of flat batteries :P

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2004, 22:45 »
Have a look in the other thread, i think i covered it in there!

Offline BC

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2004, 00:20 »
Hmm, I might have done your method if I had'nt bought the kit, ?being as the buzzer would remind me to look at the dash.

Judderi

« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2004, 11:41 »
Thank you. A very easy yet effective mod well worth doing. 8)

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2004, 14:34 »
Hmm, I might have done your method if I had'nt bought the kit,  being as the buzzer would remind me to look at the dash.

You could still do it! Altough, the other way we discussed may be better for you...

Thank you. A very easy yet effective mod well worth doing. 8)

Thats cool, at least it all makes sense?

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2004, 01:47 »
I never did get rouan to doing this ::) ::)

Well, heres the chance to have it actually explained properly, instead of the explanation i gave you the last time you were interested! Hoping that a few people do it....

There are a few variations that could be done instead, eg so it only works through the drivers door, and not passenger as well, and only when ignition is off etc.... Please let me know if you think it would be better another way....

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2004, 23:18 »
I did this to my car when I had it ages ago, little tip..................get a decent buzzer. I used one from a R5 GT Turbo :) (better sound)