Author Topic: All the gear and no idea, yeah it's an 8v, but it is nice  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Daddy Billy

• Not said much yet
Hi Im new here, all the gear and no idea.... but I have a Haynes. lol.
Been reading for a while... but got fed up with the bash street kids.  So I bought a golf.
I needed a car and I always wanted one and a goodin came up (good karma? God mustn't have been looking at me that hard).
I am the proud owner of a Dark blue (midnight?) Mk3 GTi 8v 5dr only 46500 miles 1996 'n'reg, all standard apart from an alpine cd head unit..... :-). Yeah yeah it's not the 16 the valver blah blah blah. It's a good little number (no name yet) in VGC and ready for a spanking. I'll get a 16v one day, maybe.
back to the questions;
I am looking to put in a panel filter and one of those chrome induction pipes from an ebay shop.  Are the pipes any good? 
Also is it a bugger to change the Ariel seal? Its not leaking yet but it has lost small chunks from  the edges and prevention is better then cure.  Que a long ass con flab with a mate "well it's not leaking and getting it off is removing the inner trim and the seal could f%$k the paint etc etc etc...
Got loads of other questions but these are ones I've looked for and not seen.
Like, the bloody Haynes doesn't show how to replace the scuttle seal... D'oh! It has not paid for itself yet. Only a few screws. it should be OK. (Famous last words).
So thanks in advance your help is much appreciated and don't take the pi55 on the spelling I'm late 20's just crap at spelling.
Daniel

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
Re: All the gear and no idea, yeah it's an 8v, but it is nice
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2010, 00:40 »
lol welcome to the forum.

I own a P Reg 8v GTI with 70,000 miles.. got it 1.5 years ago, with 55,000 miles on it in mint condition...
I've put a pipercross panel filter on mine with a cold feed (ebay ones will do, i had some pipework at work so used that its similar but the one i used was alot stronger...
At present its got a cat back exhaust system on, Audi 16" rims, Vr6 Splitter, (soon to be lowered 40mm), and running a Pioneer sound set up  :wink:

I admit the 8v isnt fast but is very comfy, and nice to drive, looks good aswell.

Enjoy it and enjoy the banter on here  :grin:
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2010, 09:21 »
Hi Billy sounds like a decent Gti youve got their mate.Think you will find the colour is "mystic blue" it looks purpley in the sun really nice colour.As for the ariel seal ive never done one but its pretty common that the piece your refering to starts to come apart had the same thing on my old VR6 mine kinda split in half think I just glued it back togeather  :grin:.Think their called roar pipes ive seen them on ebay too they look pretty cool and not to expensive so give it a go,plus a panel filter and drilled airbox cold air feed work very well.Ive got a 1996 anniversary 8v which I really love at the moment drives spot on and is really good condition,ive had a 16v and a VR6 all good in their on ways but i think the 8v is in the middle and very easy to maintian mod etc so look forward to seeing how you get on with your new car  :wink:
Golf Gti

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2010, 15:52 »
Just replaced mine with one of these, didn't have to mess about taking interior apart, just slid it down and stetched it round, perfect fit too for a pattern part!

eBay item no. 400112149817

enjoy mk3 motoring! Can be a bumpy ride! Lol

Offline Daddy Billy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2010, 09:15 »
Just looked at my haynes to see about the aerial and saw the front windscreen wiper bit and it shows how to remove the scuttle. known only as trim!? hence why I couldn't find it in the index.  So it looks like just four screws. Just got to get the rubber bit now to do the job.  yey.  Off to Dentex this morning to get quoted to make it look as good as it will ever look. 
Dentex Paintless dent removal
www.mydent.co.uk
Unit 2 Baddesley Park Ind Est
Botley Rd North Baddesley, Southampton, Hampshire SO52 9NW
023 8073 3338  Ask for Warren he's got some skills
update you later

Offline Daddy Billy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2010, 21:27 »
Thanks for the ebay part/item number Mark. I came out this morning (not the gay coming out) and noticed mine had split :undecided: and so the question has been decided for me. I did speak to GSF but they closed at 2pm and my son was having his knap. so I called the main office to mail order the whole unit. but they couldn't send it till monday arvo. so Immediatly ordered the rubber bung/seal you have brought to my attention. now if I order a bee sting little aerial it's still cheaper then the gsf one :rolleyes:
Also spoke to HIC to get a quote to see if they would be cheaper or better on price and cover, with or without mods they would be about £100-£200 more expensive then I am currently paying if I add coilovers, s/s back box, induction and or a roar pipe plus a lightedned fly wheel. so I am now thinking where to start? And where to get the cash? :rolleyes:
Warren at Dentex quoted me £150 to go around the whole car and pull out every ding  I saw the 5 or 6 tiny dings (Warren probably saw 20 dings) and he pointed out the fact my passenger front door has already got some filla work on it!? :huh: but he'll polish it all after he's done the dings, so I am thinking bargin?
So what are the best coilovers for a buget? And;
would ebay item# 370326224571 be a good move?  with a panel filter?
Any help and sarcasm on the above Q's would be good.
Thanks in advance