Author Topic: New car, engine or fix mine?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: New car, engine or fix mine?
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2016, 19:06 »
You want it all, a performance car with low fuel consumption.... and nearly no car will do both.
Power comes from fuel,..... the more power you use the more fuel you'll burn. Change your driving habits and you'll be able to get 50mpg even with your current trips.

I know what I'm on about, my fuel consumption varies from 30 to 70 mpg..... :p
Depending on whether I drive it round country lane corners like a minger, like I stole it on the German motorway or just easy off and cruise round or behind a lorry on the motorway not using brakes at all.

In a mapped car mpg tends to get worse. Especially if it's a higher stage mod....
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2016, 19:40 »
You want it all, a performance car with low fuel consumption.... and nearly no car will do both.
Power comes from fuel,..... the more power you use the more fuel you'll burn. Change your driving habits and you'll be able to get 50mpg even with your current trips.

I know what I'm on about, my fuel consumption varies from 30 to 70 mpg..... :p
Depending on whether I drive it round country lane corners like a minger, like I stole it on the German motorway or just easy off and cruise round or behind a lorry on the motorway not using brakes at all.

In a mapped car mpg tends to get worse. Especially if it's a higher stage mod....

I didn't say I want power AND low fuel consumption, I said I want power without sacrificing too much fuel consumption, as in, would getting say 200-250BHP out of a 1.8T have a significantly lower mpg than a 1.9 TDI @ 200-250BHP. I am aware driving styles alter the amount of mileage you can get, which again, will a 1.8T be easier or harder to drive economically than the diesels? I know in my TDi I have to do a lot of gear changes as it doesn't like low revs, not sure if this is a fault or they are like this, so is hard keeping the mpg good in town driving.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2016, 19:42 by paradisiac82 »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2016, 20:05 »
In my tdi I tend to find driving at around 2k most economic. 
But in the 1.8t I find that the turbo has to be spooled to keep it economical.

Also I find that in my experiance mapped cars return better mpg at normal driving.
I have a rule with my cars. If they can do 60miles of mixed driving to 10pounds of fuel there good to me.
And a 1.8t can piss that

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2016, 20:20 »
In my tdi I tend to find driving at around 2k most economic. 
But in the 1.8t I find that the turbo has to be spooled to keep it economical.

Also I find that in my experiance mapped cars return better mpg at normal driving.
I have a rule with my cars. If they can do 60miles of mixed driving to 10pounds of fuel there good to me.
And a 1.8t can piss that

I was getting around 60 miles for £10 in the Mitsubishi Carisma which I thought was ok so if I can get something around that if not better from a 1.8T mapped then I would be happy. I like the TDi and if mapping it and maybe going hybrid turbo would give me a bit more power with little fuel consumption drop then would be an option either on this car on another TDi, especially if more work needs to be done on a petrol to get the same gains as a TDi, although petrol ones do sound nicer than my tractor engine.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2016, 20:22 »
Nice deisel sound is a v6 one. Haha
Umm diesel will give you the power with a map. But like you say the petrol sounds nicer. And the right recirc valve on a 20vt sets them off.
Love the air being dumped

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2016, 20:52 »
Nice deisel sound is a v6 one. Haha
Umm diesel will give you the power with a map. But like you say the petrol sounds nicer. And the right recirc valve on a 20vt sets them off.
Love the air being dumped

is there a better engine to get in the 1.8T's? there seems to be several varients on this site

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?34368-1-8T-20V-Engine-codes-FAQ

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2016, 21:47 »
Auq or agu are the better golf engines. Aum dont like power

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2016, 22:18 »
I think I have not been really clear :D
If you don't change your driving style/profile you won't see much more mpg no matter what car. It will be easier to get good mpg in a diesel, petrols are not that far behind if driven sensibly but short distances and near full throttle they drink more fuel (they typically go lambda = 0.85 i.e. << 1 on high load to protect engine and cat but injecting 17% more fuel than you'd have oxygen for does it for fuel economy).
I have never known anyone with a map need less fuel after it - at least on long running average. Individual runs - maybe.

If you want to get a 1.8T get a BAM engine - 225 bhp and it is plenty fast (you can chip 'em to about 260-270 and my mates TT which runs around 265 is pretty much a rocket ship and thanks to quattro and wide soft tyres you can actually use it). That's if you can find one....
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2016, 23:04 »
ok, so best bet is PD150 with maybe a hybrid turbo and remap. The next question, what would be the main things you would replace on an engine?

So far I think:

• Seals/Gaskets (Head, Tandem Pump, piston rings, injectors..)
  • Cam, Belt, Pulley
  • Aux Belt, Pulley, Water Pump
  • Hoses (Fuel, Turbo, Inter-Cooler)
  • Clean Inlet Manifold & EGR
  • Clutch/Flywheel
  • Engine Mounts

Is there anything else I am missing?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2016, 23:32 »
Main bearings big end bearings. Small end bearings. Thatll put it like new.
Oil pump should be good