Author Topic: Standard exhaust courier  (Read 2443 times)

Offline SamH123

• Not said much yet
Standard exhaust courier
« on: 13 May 2016, 21:55 »
I've been looking to buy a standard exhaust system to get my car through my mot as its failing on CO emissions.
But the problem is, i now have no car to pick up an exhaust so need a courier to pick one up for me.
But i cannot find the weight, height, length and width for the whole system and it seems they all want to know.
I dont want to be getting it wrong and getting all these extra charges.
So has anybody sent an exhaust system before and know the dimensions or can recommend a courier service that may not need all that information?
I know its probably a long shot, but im not sure what else to do haha

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
Re: Standard exhaust courier
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2016, 10:13 »
Surely that would depend on how it is packaged. If they are packaged separately then will be the individual components specs plus whatever packaging is used, if they are in 1 package then again, will be no smaller that the maximum length/width of the biggest component but could be any size greater than that as its all down to how the seller packages it up and this will be different for every seller I imagine.

Sorry not much use, might be worth looking at pallet prices and seeing if they will put it on a pallet

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2016, 20:09 »
When I got my Mk4 2 years ago it didnt have an MOT & I knew my exhaust was shot, I just used my semi-tame nearby tyre exhaust garage for the MOT and got them to install a new one at the same time
- think it was £180 fitted for a standard Gti system from the CAT back.

I know I paid premium, I could have sourced the system cheaper, but considering the hassle to fit it just makes sense to me.
Couple that with a previous nightmare trying to fit a system in the pouring rain, I now really don't do exhausts.

Offline SamH123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2016, 20:36 »

cheers guys,
Sorry about late reply i checked here the other day and pretty sure the reply button was not here, appeared again today haha
i gave up on the idea of getting an exhaust delivered so will wait for one to come up closer to where i live.

Anybody got any ideas of little things i could do to my car to help with CO emissions?
Need my car to get to college for the last month and a bit and very short on cash reserves since ive only been working 2 days a week due to college.

Offline gti gurl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2016, 21:54 »
is it the whole system you need or is it just the back box thats shat its self ? could maybe have a look under and see if you can see where any blows are coming from and get some gungum to try and get it through MOT maybe. you could also ask if anyone here is local to you to lend a hand

good luck though  :smiley:

Im no cactus expert but i know a prick when i see one !!!

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2016, 22:07 »
On a mk4 its gonna have a cat & lambda.

Providing the cat is fitted it shouldn't matter what's bolted on behind it (stock or aftermarket.

Narrows it down to the cat or lambda tbh

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2016, 23:11 »
You gotta have a lot of holes near front end of exhaust to fail on CO.....

I just ordered some online and had them sent to me, never bothered to have it collected..... quite expensive though.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline SamH123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2016, 23:45 »
is it the whole system you need or is it just the back box thats shat its self ? could maybe have a look under and see if you can see where any blows are coming from and get some gungum to try and get it through MOT maybe. you could also ask if anyone here is local to you to lend a hand

good luck though  :smiley:

Whole system as i was going to change my custom exhaust system over to standard for the MOT as the garage said they could not fit a new cat onto my system because it is a sports system or something like that.
also i dont think there is any blows coming from the exhaust
cheers!  :smiley:

On a mk4 its gonna have a cat & lambda.

Providing the cat is fitted it shouldn't matter what's bolted on behind it (stock or aftermarket.

Narrows it down to the cat or lambda tbh

All lambda readings were ok, so is it still likely to be that?
Last years MOT it failed on everything emissions wise, the garage replaced the lambda and £350 later they managed to get it through, but i have a suspicion they didnt fix the CO emissions as the TEMP reading on the MOT cert said Temp shows warm, when the previous said the actual temp?

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2016, 13:05 »
The temp sender gives two values, one for dash one for ECU.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles