Author Topic: Gear Selector Broken - Metal casing sheared  (Read 3333 times)

Offline spaced4130

• Not said much yet
  • 99 AGU 1.8t
Gear Selector Broken - Metal casing sheared
« on: 09 May 2016, 11:33 »
Hi All,

I have a 99 AGU and was driving to work the other day and suddenly lost the ability to get into first gear. Managed to get home and after lifting up the gear stick gaiter I can see that the gear selector has completely sheered off at the points where the 3 bolts hold it all together. To much aggressive gear changing I think.

Video of damage here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1DT66Pg_sYjSjJhV1YtSU1KVEtHQ2xfaXF4emgzVk1tNHpZ/view?usp=sharing

After doing a bit of reading it seems that I have the old version of the gear selector and newer golfs were fitted with a different version that requires an updated end linkage fitting.

My question is how do you remove the gear selector? is this done from under the car or from inside? I was hoping I could just replace the bit of metal casing which has broken but not sure.

Any help will be appreciated.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Gear Selector Broken - Metal casing sheared
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2016, 18:57 »
Bolts inside the car. 2 nuts and 2 bolts.
Changimg for a later type I cant help but if its just the end of the cables they will unwind.
And selector in Bix is 2 13s (I think. Cant remember and my box isnt near me)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2016, 06:16 »
A short term fix to keep you mobile while sorting out the right way to go.

A large diameter washer under the rear nut and a plate across the front part about 3mm thick with two holes to suit the bolts...trim the plate to fit snugly and tighten it all up really well.

As I said, it's a short term fix.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline spaced4130

• Not said much yet
  • 99 AGU 1.8t
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2016, 12:33 »
Thanks for the replies, I will have a go at doing a temp fix this weekend with a bit of scrap metal I have hanging about. lemski are you saying the whole gear selector assembly can be removed from inside the car then?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2016, 18:50 »
No sorry just unbolted, needs dropping from undernieth so exhaust needs moving.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2016, 20:10 »
Just for a little cosmetic work, I removed all of the centre console from mine today and it exposed the gear stick mounting (the bits in your video) and it reminded me of your problem.

Did you try what I suggested....and did it work??

Actually, having everything right in front of me, the fix I suggested should last a lot longer than 'a temporary' solution.

Estimated cost...excluding your time...should be around a quid, give or take a penny or two.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2016, 20:18 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline spaced4130

• Not said much yet
  • 99 AGU 1.8t
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2016, 11:00 »
Yes I did the fix thanks for the suggestion it seems to be holding up well and your right it seems pretty strong and should last quite a long time. I used some 3mm sheet metal a friend had hanging around.

I have noticed that getting into first gear can sometimes be a little difficult but think this is because I need to adjust the gear linkage. Bgbazz do you have the same shifter as me? If so do you know how you lock it in place when doing the adjustment the newer shifter seems to have holes for a pin to keep it in the correct position but mine does not.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2016, 15:36 »
Glad to hear the fix worked OK. Sadly, my shifter set up is the type with the plastic/nylon ball, so I can't really suggest anything. I just gave mine a good clean and a liberal dose of white grease while I had it exposed...and made sure everything was done up tight.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.