Author Topic: Help with fault codes please  (Read 1979 times)

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
Help with fault codes please
« on: 31 July 2020, 14:18 »
Done a 300 miles round trip yesterday, car didn’t skip a beat all the way and when I got home I stopped to get food and when I got back in the car the engine light came on in the dash  :shocked: I plugged in my obdeleven dongle and got the following error codes, car drives the same to me and I’m not noticing any strange noises or lack of performance

What should I be checking? i cleared the faults and they never came back, haven't driven the car today but will report back if it behaves differently

« Last Edit: 31 July 2020, 14:19 by ramrod »
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Help with fault codes please
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2020, 19:01 »
Possible causes

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) faulty/jammed
    Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115) faulty/jammed
    Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Sealing faulty
    Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body leaky/blocked

Possible Solutions

Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80)
        Perform Output Test
    Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115)
    Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister
        Perform Basic Setting
    Check Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2020, 22:38 »
thanks @Snoopy,  i appreciate your help, time for me to familiarise myself with the TSi engine lol spent ages looking for the power steering fluid reservoir earlier & when i gave up and googled it i was most surprised to learn there is electric steering LOL

the mk6 is a big leap up in technology from the mk3 ive been driving for 10 yrs :grin:
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2020, 22:25 »
The original part number 06H906517h (n80 purge valve) has been superseded by a revised part which is completely different! I have managed to source the original part online so all good :nerd:

I am noticing some hissing when accelerating and some petrol fumes when getting stuff out of the boot so hopefully this will fix that, drives nice still tho :wink: getting 42mpg on moterway runs
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2020, 14:43 »
https://www.shopdap.com/blog/check-gas-cap-light-on-vw-and-audi-2-0t-tsi-engine.html/

Ive had the code once but only when the car had sat a few months unused so i have my fingers crossed its okand had just stuck as not as easy to change on these as older cars unless you want to cut and join pipes.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2020, 14:50 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2020, 00:04 »
Snoopy I am hoping to cut & join pipes as a cheap DIY, seen a YouTube video on it  :whistle:but am considering just getting the garage to replace it at the same time as the chain tensioner, only problem is a 2 week wait as the garage is always busy, I've noticed today the car amusing more fuel on short town runs
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2020, 15:10 »
Think this is the one from my YouTube history I watched on how to do it without cutting the pipes for the n80 valve
https://youtu.be/68ZWgNaG4gs
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2020, 19:41 »
just to update, i managed to change the purge valve and hoses, what a ballache that was!

still got a PO299 turbo underboost fault code but i am hoping that maybe due to my flexi downpipe needing changing, earliest i can get that done is 10th september :undecided: hope that sorts it
Mk6 Gti - current daily