Author Topic: Snowy Trackday  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
Snowy Trackday
« on: 23 February 2010, 22:36 »
Took the Mk3 16v on its first outing this year yesterday. Venue was Colerne Airfield in Wiltshire.

It snowed for most of the morning but it didn't settle because it was already wet, this kept the track wet all morning. this kept my speeds up compared to the TVR's and other big HP cars which were struggling in the wet.

The afternoon dried up and the line dried up nicely alowing a lot faster laps where the bigger hp cars came into their own.

The car performed faultlessly all day (better than the driver), the Toyo T1R's gripped well all day in the wet and dry, and the lightened flywheel brought the pick up in lower gears alive. Second gear now goes off like a scalded cat.

2 1/2 months without a trackday meant I spent far too much time on track yesterday and I was knackered by the time I left for home. I still cant believe that the Golf 3 16v puts such a smile on my face every time I take it to a trackday. Lots of comments from others yesterday to say how much fun the Golf looked in the wet (usually whilst overtaking them) and how much time I spent out on the track with it.

New oil temp gauge works better than the old one which just guessed the temp, flywheel was worth every penny, need to look at some better suspension now.

Trackday season is looking good at the moment - 6 more airfield days paid for, Castle Combe later in the year, Pembrey booked for April, and more to book at a later date.

Paul

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Snowy Trackday
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2010, 22:54 »
I envy you being able to do so many, I can only really afford Combe this year and I'm really looking forward to it.

Might have to splash the cash on flywheel myself, seems a good grin:pound ratio.

Nick