Author Topic: First Car - Looking for insurance  (Read 9452 times)

Offline DazRGTI

• Just got here
First Car - Looking for insurance
« on: 11 January 2016, 19:42 »
Hi.

Registered on site when I purchased the car a year ago but I did not pass my test until recently and now I am looking to purchase insurance to get me on the road after a long wait!

I've tried some comparison sites but the quote prices have seemed to have went up since when I checked when I first purchased the car.

I'm being quoted around £1100 at the moment on comparison sites and the best quote I got a year ago was just over £900 using these.

Some details

First car
'99 Golf MK4 1.8 Gti 3 Door
Non-Standard Alloy Wheels
28 Years old

I tried through my banks website but it came back saying it was not able to provide me with a quote for the details I provided.

Am I best phoning around?

Which companies can you suggest I try, keeping in mind that it is my first car?

Thank You
« Last Edit: 11 January 2016, 19:49 by DazRGTI »

Offline HIC

• Forum Supporter
  • Not said much yet
Re: First Car - Looking for insurance
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2016, 09:06 »
Hi,

If you want to pm us your number, then we will gladly give you a call and see if we can improve on that quote for you.

Cheers

Offline DazRGTI

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2016, 17:34 »
Hi,

If you want to pm us your number, then we will gladly give you a call and see if we can improve on that quote for you.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

Though, I got a quote from Adrian Flux last night for £1074 and they called me this morning with an offer of £1004 and as it was the lowest I've been offered, I went ahead with it.

Pity I never seen this reply beforehand though, so I could compare quotes.

I'll keep HIC in mind for future though, thanks.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2016, 17:55 »
I feel so sorry for guys like you...the insurance industry has you all by the balls! I lived, worked and drove over there for nearly 4 years and it blew my socks off!! At the time I had a 3 year old Peugeot 406 HDI...UK insurance was almost 500 quid. Drove it over here, registered and insured it here for an agreed value of 6000 pounds...cost me 120 pounds.

Let's move forward to now (ten years later)...insured my VW Golf tdi last week...agreed value is 6000 pounds...regardless of the circumstances. Total cost to me was 120 quid and they HAVE to pay out ...no ifs, buts or maybe.

That means...stolen car, fire, accident, flood, earthquake, pidgeon sh!t on my roof...anything you can think of!

I really don't understand why you let these companies get away with it.

If it's mandatory for YOU to have insurance....it should be mandatory for THEM them to pay out...NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.