Author Topic: Photographic reference libary  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Photographic reference libary
« on: 24 April 2009, 00:53 »
While putting my Mk2 back together over the last 6months or so, I found myself downing tools, and hunting on Google images to try and find some reference photos on where things should fit, and how they should fit, a couple of examples, where in relation to the "Golf GTI" badge on the rear panel, should the "16V" badge be mounted, or the tiny black painted, stainless steel trim that covers the gap between the window seal, and the window aperture rubber, amazing just how many Ive seen that are fitted incorrectly! Where exactly should the rear wiper lay on the rear screen, engine bay shots, showing wiring, and piping, that sort of thing.
Pics would only be of standard, unmolested cars, and would be a stickied thread, in each relevant section, pics could then be cross referenced , by other people posting there pics of the same subject
What do you think...
Tom

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Photographic reference libary
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2009, 15:56 »
Cracking idea, putting it together might be a challenge though! Guess what we would need is a totally standard car of each mk and take a huge amount of pictures of it. Then some useful soul will start arguing about whether that particular rubber gromit was standard on that year. Ha, no, great idea, problem would also be how much each mk does change over its build life so you would need quite a lot of standard cars :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Photographic reference libary
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2009, 17:30 »
Start marking a Flickr group. I'd gladly profile my whole car, but I doubt anything is standard or original on it :grin:

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Photographic reference library
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2009, 23:20 »
JV, Sorry being slow getting back on this, glad you like the idea, I think that it would work out really well.
A few ideas,  could the "library" be kept so that it would only be the photo, and a short comment about the car, ie model, year, colour, and specific items of interest, like certain details in the engine bay for example
Photos could be numbered, for obvious reference, with an index at the start of the thread..
photos would not be open to discussion within the thread, keeping it simple, pics would instead be copied and pasted into threads where they could be hammered to death! :laugh:
Your thoughts,
Tom