Author Topic: Mk2 Golf 3.2 VR6 Kamei Edition + GTI 8v Mini Resto  (Read 65383 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Before I begin, here's a little back ground on my past Golf projects.

1991 Golf GTI 8V (Bought 2009 / Sold 2010)
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=126450.msg1122127#msg1122127

2007 Golf GTI 2.0TFSI (Bought 2011 / Sold 2015)
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=258812.0

2012 Golf R 2.0TFSI (Bought 2015 / Current)
http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/10091-th3-f15ts-12-golf-r-codename-viki/

And now to the latest adventure. A 1989 Golf GTI 16V, in Tornado Red, 3 door and a familiar sight to some of you on this forum:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=273010.0

So here's how she currently sits with me:

The plan is really a full strip down restoration to completely finish off all the hard work the previous owner put into the car. Also, despite coming with the factory BBS body kit I've gone and purchased a new-old-stock Kamei X1 body kit:

To give you some idea of the finished result, check out this:
http://vagplayers.com/crew/pele/

So for now I'm working on my plans and getting the required parts together to make her into something special. It's the perfect Mk2 Golf in my eyes but it needs some refinement to be my dream Golf GTI. This will be a long, testing, expensive, roller-coaster of emotions trip but I think after 7 years of learning and bettering my skills, I'm ready...
« Last Edit: 01 June 2017, 08:32 by th3_f15t »

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: 89 Golf GTI 16V
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2016, 12:03 »
Well, if you can get it looking like your inspiration this should be pretty special :cool:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2016, 12:35 »
Thanks mate, I won't be going so show-car on the interior. Probably a set of Mk3 Golf Recaro seats (front and rear) and the door cards and the pillar trims all re-trimmed in leather/Alcantara with some LED upgrades here and there. Nothing more than OEM+ really, want to retain everything that makes a Mk2 Golf what it is.

Also looking at tuning the 2.0 9A engine that's under the bonnet, I know you can get easy power from a 1.8T conversion but that ruins the OEM+ theme I'm running with. Might send the engine to TSR Performance for their Snetterton tuning package, exhaust manifold and a Milltek system (ceramic coated for better performance).

Handling is the only area I may stray from the OEM vibe, looking serious at the latest Air Lift Performance 3P/3H kits, they look seriously impressive and would suit my situation ideally. Except for the price...

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2016, 14:39 »
will be following your progress and wish u the best of luck with her, although it seems you wont need it, your planning is going well i the early stages so im sure she is going to be one special car!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2016, 10:12 »
You did a fantastic job on her already, it'd be rude not to finish it to the highest standard. To that end, I've been hoarding parts via eBay and the internet generally this month. So far I have bought:

All new gear linkage bushes, gear stick and knob, gaiter and other repair bits from VW Heritage:

Replacement gear level surround:

Votex centre console:

Momo Jet 3 steering wheel, 90's production so I deem it "period correct":

And finally for now, a set of refurbished genuine VW Sebring 15 inch alloy wheels:

Also currently in talks with TSR Performance and Emerald ECU about building up my 9A engine to hit around 200bhp using a full build engine with a gas flowed head and cams, ITB's and a standalone engine management system. The gearox will get a rebuild as well but with an uprated LSD fitted for good measure as well as an uprated clutch.

Still trying to source a Mk3 Golf Recaro interior at a good price, got one on my eBay watch list that I'm putting a cheeky offer in so that may be purchased soon as well, then it'll get a re-trim as well as the rest of the interior and all new carpets throughout.

Depending on how things go with the Golf R over the next few weeks, I may get round to booking it in with the restoration place to have the shell completely overhauled and refurbished, check out these guys who are about 30 minutes drive from me:

http://www.spikesvintagerestorations.com/

Currently they have a Ferrari Dino, from Ferrari themselves, in for a total restoration. If Ferrari trust them, I reckon I do too! So stay tuned, things are going to get crazy very soon with this! Mk2 Golf GTI of my dreams... I reckon it's possible.

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2016, 00:28 »
 :grin:

Looking forward to this progress!!
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2016, 17:41 »
This sounds like its going to be a nice little mk2

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2016, 18:16 »
Made a start on rebuilding the gear linkage today and replacing all the worn bushes. Dismantled the bits:

Got happy with a wire brush attachment on a drill:

It'll get a proper clean when it gets removed from the car for a rebuild. May clean up a little more while I'm working in the area just for the sake of it, also need to make sure I can open the gearbox oil nut so I can refresh the oil at least as I want to make sure it's as well looked after as possible seeing as the gears themselves will be re-used. All the bits from the linkage on the bench:

The metal brackets are all going to get wire brushed/blasted down and painted gloss black for a bit of corrosion protection. The big orange bush is totally shagged, I'll get pictures of it tomorrow! But there's not much of it left...
« Last Edit: 19 March 2016, 18:18 by th3_f15t »

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2016, 15:55 »
So happy to see this back in a forum members hands (and even better someone as capable as you).

Good luck man!

I thought nutter had done the linkages? Must be remembering wrong
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2016, 17:20 »
Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. She did a ton of work but the linkage wasn't one I don't think, judging by the amount of built up dirt on it. It's one of those "little" jobs you don't get round to when you're rebuild the entire body of a car... :laugh: