Author Topic: Flywheel Bolts - Stripped on Installation!  (Read 1891 times)

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
Flywheel Bolts - Stripped on Installation!
« on: 13 December 2016, 09:30 »
Fitted the SMF conversion at the weekend and followed the correct procedure for installing the flywheel bolts;

Stage 1 - 22lbsft
Stage 2 - 44lbsft
Stage 3 - +90deg

On completing Stage 3 of the final (6th bolt) the spline socket slipped and slightly rounded the bolt head. I'd only managed to get maybe 30-45deg of turn and can't get purchase to go any further. The bolts were new OEM supplied with the kit and had blue loctite preinstalled.

Due to this, and the 90deg being damn tight (!) I've made the call and have refitted everything and hopefully won't see a problem. I've heard of people using airguns on everything and also I'm fairly sure garages don't always follow procedures and just bang it all back together but mainly I'm thinking the angle part of the tightening procedure takes the bolts into yield so combined with the loctite should be pretty secure?

My slight concern is the potential unevenness of how tight the bolts are, but they were all done to an even 44lbsft all round beforehand. I suppose wheel bolts are rarely torqued with a calibrated wrench in reality but then a wheel doesn't spin at 6000rpm?!

Just wanted to put my thoughts down to make me a feel a bit better really but appreciate any input or thoughts you may have.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2016, 09:33 by OSR »

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Flywheel Bolts - Stipped on Installation!
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2016, 13:13 »
These are usually designed with a safety margin of around 1.5, I.e. 4 bolts would probably be just about up to the job. With that in mind and that it is nearly there and has threadlock compound as well I would not worry.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2016, 13:42 »
Thanks mate - good to get a positive comment back. Probably worrying over nothing and it very much is what it is now. Friday will tell!

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2016, 15:00 »
These are usually designed with a safety margin of around 1.5, I.e. 4 bolts would probably be just about up to the job. With that in mind and that it is nearly there and has threadlock compound as well I would not worry.

I agree with you on this. The threadlock compound should hold the bolt in place, regardless of it being somewhat undertorqued.
I'm sure you will be fine.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2016, 15:15 »
Thanks guys, good to know! I'll keep you all posted after the test run!

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
Re: Flywheel Bolts - Stripped on Installation!
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2016, 19:25 »
Can I ask who supplied the kit?

I think you should be OK if its just the 6th and last bolt.

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2016, 10:11 »
Kit was supplied by Darkside Developments and is a genuine Sachs G60/VR6 SMF conversion kit.

Been out for a couple of short runs and all seems well - the only thing I need to sort is reverse is an absolute pain to get, almost like it's stuck getting through the gate but I think this is more to do with the TT short shifter and needing a bit of adjustment on the cables?

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular

Offline OSR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2016, 21:00 »
Cheers buddy, I did google it earlier and there were a few forums saying to readjust the cables and there's a procedure in the Haynes. Followed that a couple of times and it's a hell of a lot better but reverse isn't quite fully engaging and it's burning the clutch out when I reverse back into the driveway - it stinks!

Really useful video there though - note the Haynes manual doesn't really mention taking the slack out so I think that's my issue. 2min job though so I'll redo at the weekend and hopefully get it sorted.

The good news is I've driven about 30 miles now and there's no funny noises so touch wood the flywheel is on and everything is working as it should. Now it just torque steers and slips the front wheels instead!