Author Topic: Mk3 8v not starting  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Adibok

• Just got here
Mk3 8v not starting
« on: 13 November 2014, 20:14 »
Hi everyone, I'm having some problems with my mk3 8v. Basically a couple of weeks ago whilst on my way home from work my car died on me( I had just give it a little right foot :tongue:) it restarted but then soon died again with the rev counter needle jumping about, got the aa out and he diagnosed as fuel pump relay, not a big deal so I thought. So next day off to vw I went and got myself a new relay. Fitted it and away I went...for 2 days. Car then cut out on me whilst on motorway and would not restart, called aa again to tow me home and he said I had no spark, he tried a new coil with no luck and diagnosed as the hall sensor. Great! So when I got home I took the dizzy cap off and had a look how to go about replacing said hall sensor. I noticed there were some small pieces that appeared to be broken off something underneath the cover on top of the distributor. So thought great my dizzy is nackered. So I bought a new one. Fitted it. Still no joy. Checked for spark from the coil and nothing, only a flash when the ignition is turned on. So after some reading on a few forums I ordered myself a number 30 relay(ecu relay) still nothing. So then got myself a new coil, still nothing, after some more reading I replaced the crank sensor(what a pig of a job!) and still nothing! There's power going to the coil(tested with a test light) but no spark. I have noticed when cranking that the oil light flashes, there's plenty of oil in the motor as I did an oil and filter change about a month ago not long after purchasing the car. I really don't know what to do now and I can't really afford to have a mechanic come to it. But need the car for work. If anyone has any suggestions at all it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks all

Offline oVerboost

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk3 8v not starting
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2014, 23:01 »
May not be anywhere close, but check the timing...

Offline Adibok

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2014, 20:20 »
Thanks for the suggestion, borrowed a timing light and it cock on. Really pulling my hair out with this :laugh:

Offline GOLF-MK3-GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2014, 21:43 »
When your trying to start the car, does the car cough while cranking?, or is it the case of turning the key and nothing happens?

Offline Adibok

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2014, 22:10 »
Nothing at all. Just cranking. Not even trying to fire

Offline Adibok

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2014, 11:06 »
Bit of an update. It's fixed. Hooray. Turns out I had a faulty crank sensor, a brand new one! Just goes to show even new parts can fail. Hopefully it's sorted now just need to do a decent road test. Thanks for the suggestions guys