Author Topic: Spare wheel  (Read 1020 times)

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
Spare wheel
« on: 26 May 2018, 12:52 »
I had a puncture yesterday, had to put spare on at the nearest garage, it was new and never been used.

As I had to wait for the tyre to come in, I drove home and driving along it was a bit bumpy, I checked there was enough air in it, and there was.

Anyway when I went to get the new tyre on today (PS4), I looked at the spare when off the car and the bead on the tyre hadn't properly clicked into the steel rim at the rear, which must of been from when it was new, the guys said they had never seen it before, they had to put 150psi in it to make it click out flat on the rim and be secure

luckily I didn't have to drive far, but it could of been a different story.

moral of this story, check your spares!
« Last Edit: 26 May 2018, 14:20 by 2007GTI »
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2018, 13:24 »
Phew! That could have been a bad ending!
A good warning to all.  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Spare wheel
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2018, 07:01 »
On a previous Golf - can’t remember which one - I got the spare out and found a bolt embedded in the wall of the tyre, as if the wheel had been slammed down on it with force. Only the head was visible. I had had the car for a little while - you don’t think to check the spare on a brand new car, do you?

Dealer replaced the wheel, obviously, but, as in your case, could have been a disaster, especially if the wheel had been fitted and the bolt not noticed.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.