Author Topic: OBDeleven question  (Read 7688 times)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: OBDeleven question
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2017, 15:16 »
I've been using OBD11 Pro for the last year. I accumulate the points by clicking on the ads and have >1200 points now!

I have used the apps to consume points along the way, sometimes it takes a while for the points on the app to catch up, not always but as I say sometimes.

The first thing I would do is go to Google play store, search for OBD11 and you will be given the option to Install, or open/update.

If you have the open option on the right, you most likely have the latest OBD11 version, if it says update... then update your version of the app.
At this point when the app is current, the points total among other things seem to work more smoothly.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2017, 15:21 »
Thanks, definitely the latest version.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2017, 15:39 »
Am I glad I use VCDS and VCP and don't have to click on ads to use a product I paid for  :whistle:
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2017, 15:49 »
Am I glad I use VCDS and VCP and don't have to click on ads to use a product I paid for  :whistle:

If you used it you would see that you don't. I've never clicked on an advert and I've done everything that I could have done with VCDS for just over £50, how much is VCDS again?

Oh yeah and I don't need to have a laptop to run it on, all done from my phone which I always have with me.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2017, 16:17 »
I can see both sides, might be much better to have the full system and do everything for free, but as a former app developer, I can see the logic in providing a free app (which takes thousands of pounds to develop) and then the user only paying for what you need.  As frustrating as it might be for some and that it might seem like a rip off to pay for features, but in fact its almost like paying as you go.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 October 2017, 16:31 »
do you have some kind of scripts you can use in VCDS? (Serious question)
That's all a app is, the coding all put together in a one click,

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 02 October 2017, 18:23 »
Of course VCDS is a lot more, but then I find it a lot easier to use for what I do.
What I mean is that you get more overview, it is easier to look at coding notes at the same time as I have VCDS or VCP open, with possibly the exception of 'Leuchte' configuration on the MQB platform where VCP has the best usability. I don't like using a tiny mobile phone screen and I usually have a laptop in the car for work anyway.

If you only want to do basic coding OBD11 is OK (I tried on someone's phone who came over to have me code things that you need VCP for) but if you get more into depth or do many cars VCDS (or VCP for some stuff) is just a lot more comfortable, plus I can easily send logs and coding changes by email, save EEPROM dumps (VCP) to local disc and so forth.

I know app development can be expensive but if I buy the 'pro' pack I'd expect that I can do it all without needing to accumulate some funny credits. If it was the basic version I'd understand...

VCDS doesn't have scripts as such, VCP can do a lot of things automated, they call it guided functions.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2017, 18:45 »
Good simple video here of the basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWHSr-M0gog

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2017, 18:53 »
Of course VCDS is a lot more, but then I find it a lot easier to use for what I do.
What I mean is that you get more overview, it is easier to look at coding notes at the same time as I have VCDS or VCP open, with possibly the exception of 'Leuchte' configuration on the MQB platform where VCP has the best usability. I don't like using a tiny mobile phone screen and I usually have a laptop in the car for work anyway.

If you only want to do basic coding OBD11 is OK (I tried on someone's phone who came over to have me code things that you need VCP for) but if you get more into depth or do many cars VCDS (or VCP for some stuff) is just a lot more comfortable, plus I can easily send logs and coding changes by email, save EEPROM dumps (VCP) to local disc and so forth.

I know app development can be expensive but if I buy the 'pro' pack I'd expect that I can do it all without needing to accumulate some funny credits. If it was the basic version I'd understand...

VCDS doesn't have scripts as such, VCP can do a lot of things automated, they call it guided functions.

Again you don't need to use credits to do anything with the pro version.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 02 October 2017, 20:17 »
What are they there for then in pro version? Guided functions?
(No full quote needed btw)