Author Topic: Smaller wheels on MK7  (Read 5603 times)

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
Smaller wheels on MK7
« on: 30 June 2017, 20:52 »
I test drove a MK7.5 GTI this week, it had 18's on it, I found the ride really crashy and uncomfortable and it had DCC and I played with the settings, I must admit not very good London roads.

This is a crazy idea I know, but I just wondered if anyone has put 17" wheels on a Mk7? I had 17s on my Mk5 and it was fine!
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Smaller wheels on MK7
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2017, 21:00 »
They come as standard with 17's in many markets.
However I suspect the issue here is the car still had the transport pucks in the suspension.
Try another car.
I've had 4 mk7's (yes, I have a problem and I'm seeking professional help) and driven numerous others and even with no ACC they ride reasonably well for sports hatches.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2017, 21:00 »
Sounds odd, I'm on 19s, live in London, no DCC and I find the ride 90% of the time to be excellent. Perhaps there was something not right about it?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2017, 22:22 »
I test drove a MK7.5 GTI this week, it had 18's on it, I found the ride really crashy and uncomfortable and it had DCC and I played with the settings, I must admit not very good London roads.

This is a crazy idea I know, but I just wondered if anyone has put 17" wheels on a Mk7? I had 17s on my Mk5 and it was fine!

There is a video on the subject here - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/The-differences-between-17-18-and-19-inch-tyres.htm

I drive a Mk6 GTD with 17 inch alloys and adjustable suspension. I found the Mk7 GTD on 18inch uncomfortable, but it had no DCC. Though, the GTD I tested with DCC really did smooth out the ride much better.

Changing the OEM Bridgestone tyres would probably help too.

At the end of the day it is sports suspension with 18 inch low profile tyres. It is never going to be as comfortable as our other car with normal suspension and 16 alloys. However, our other car does not handle like a performance Golf.

Did you notice any change in comfort when you changed the DCC settings? Are you sure you changed DCC and not just 'drive mode'.

« Last Edit: 30 June 2017, 22:36 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2017, 22:32 »
Thanks all.

The car had 500 miles on it, so I doubt it had the transport pucks left on it, but it did cross my mind afterwards. I test drive a 63 plate a year ago and it wasn't as bad.

I didn't notice much difference changing the DCC, but it was only a 20 min test drive.

I've gone off the idea of a new one now anyway, so will try and find a another second hand one to try.

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2017, 23:05 »
I've got a 7.5 GTD on 19s and the ride is superb albeit with no DCC.
Defo try another car.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2017, 23:19 »

To answer your question I run 17" wheels on my GTi pp, so they do fit over the big brakes. They have winter tyres on and the ride is definitely softer due to the smaller wheels and softer compound tyres.

I have DCC on my car & run it in comfort setting most of the time (on 18" summer wheels & tyres) as others have said and speaking from experience of Bridgestones, Choice of tyre makes a difference. That did I'm surprised you found the ride uncomfortable I think that VW (or the chap they had in from Porsche to fine tune the suspension) did a very good job.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2017, 00:56 »
17's are standard in lots of markets, including the fatherland Germany. So no issue with fitment. Obviously the ride will be much better but will look a lot worse (imo). Large wheels are always a compromise on looks versus comfort.
I've always maintained that the Golf even on 19's rides perfectly fine. But then this week I had a spin in a new e-Golf (don't ask) and it was like riding on a magic carpet compared to my R. So yeah, 19's on a Golf are very harsh, there's no getting away from it.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2017, 00:58 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2017, 08:33 »
The GTD Blueline comes with 17's as standard  - other than that its a normal GTD.

Therefore, 17's go on just fine...

As others have said, in Germany a GTI comes with hardly anything, including 17's as standard. Mind you, it does only cost something like 14000 euros or something.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2017, 09:12 »
Thanks again all.

From googling around I found this thread in the USA, the roads in NJ sound like London!

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20482