Author Topic: MK6 GTI LED Taillight upgrade  (Read 3105 times)

Offline JonnieB414

• Just got here
MK6 GTI LED Taillight upgrade
« on: 26 February 2019, 08:47 »
Hi all, I have just bought a 2009 mk6 GTI with the standard halogen taillight units in it, however I'd like to upgrade to LED units. I bought a set of V-LAND units but when they were fitted they looked very poor and cheap, back to the drawing board! Does anyone know of any aftermarket units that are worth buying that does not require re-coding the car after fitting?
Any and all help appreciated on this one please.
Thanks
Jonnie

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Re: MK6 GTI LED Taillight upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2019, 12:51 »
Hi Jonnie,

In order to avoid cheap aftermarket parts maybe look into getting Hella rear light units? They make the genuine VW part anyway so quality will be same as the original part. Not sure what you have budgeted but I had to replace one of my LED tail light units not too long ago and paid about £100 for one similar to this off of eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142557864195

If you managed to get together a set of those then you may be able to find adaptor cables to make it work with your car which had the halogens originally. Here's a set I found from Kufatec, a respected supplier as far as I know.

https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-products/led-rear-lights-adapter-for-vw-golf-6-37570

They specify a specific build date for these cables to work which I'm not sure matches your car but it just shows that there is stuff like this out there.

It might need a bit of research into, but it's the route I'd go down if it was me to avoid ending up with bad quality items.

Also don't be put off by the thought of coding being required, there may be other forum members near you or a garage that could help you out?

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline JonnieB414

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2019, 16:38 »
Thanks for that Seabrook132, had a look at the harnesses & the say not suitable for Right hand drive vehicles, any thoughts on that? Also I have no issue buying genuine Hella lights if the coding isn't a big operation but don't want to have to start paying a fortune on top of the purchase of the lights.
In principal the V-Land lights were perfect, no coding and they also has the sequential swoosh indicators (very trick) but I'm not willing to settle for something with a bad fit just to have the LED's.
I've heard that Depo do a good aftermarket light but I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks them other than America and they cant confirm if they would be UK road legal or not.
Maybe I should just listen to the wife and leave it alone!! :wink: :wink:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2019, 07:51 »
The coding Is simple. Set byte 18 to 15
https://youtu.be/-J91O3ClPCY
I think 15 will now be an option on the drop down menu so no need to manual input it as its the option rosstech the designers of vcds recommend to alot of owners.
The harness is only a pin to pin plug type change.
I bought my genuine leds from a main dealer and bought the harness adaptors off ebay but that was more than 7 years ago.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2019, 09:02 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2019, 11:52 »
Rewinding my mental time machine back ten years, I had one of the first mk6 GTI’s and upgraded to factory LED’s when they became available the following year.
Even after VCDS coding I got a bulb out warning that I never could get rid of. The car needed another controller.
The adapters I had were made by a forum member as they weren’t available from other sources. However after a short time the adapters became commonplace so there must be some RHD suitable ones still in existence. It might take patience and persistence to find a supplier. Maybe send kufatec an email, they’re the experts in the field.
Aside from the possible controller issue it’s an easy mod and the light units are freely available. Go for the darker R lenses.

How bad a fit exactly are the V-Land items?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JonnieB414

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2019, 12:09 »
Exonian, Thanks for the information ill keep up with the search and see what I can turn up, as far as the V land lights go they look brilliant while they are in the box, however once installed there is no adjustment whatsoever, the outers had a bit of a lip against the rear quarter and once the inners were installed on the bootlid they were about 5mm away from lining up with the outer. Probably would pass for some but I'm not one for settling for the "it'll do" approach.
Anyway, slave cylinder for the clutch has just went and its inside the gearbox casing so it looks like all my pennies are going to have to go towards that plus new clutch and flywheel while I'm in there!! :sick: :sick:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2019, 16:47 »
From memory of changing the rear lights to LEDs in my old 2010 Mk6, there was no adjustment on the lights. They can only fit one way.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.