Author Topic: Golf safety issue  (Read 2674 times)

Offline sarahtom

• Just got here
Golf safety issue
« on: 25 March 2017, 19:17 »
I recently experienced a sudden and complete loss of drive in my Golf with severe safety implications - I was going through a double bend on a country road and had three children in the back of the car. It turns out that all VWs made in the UK in 2008-11 were issued with faulty gearbox fluid that causes slow-to-emerge damage (up to 10 years) due to the formation of deposits of conductive material in the mechatronic, which can cause sudden and dangerous loss of drive when gears fail to connect. I experienced frightening and dangerous situation - but a woman in Australia was killed when this happened to her. NO RECALL NOTICE WAS ISSUED in the UK to put right the initial fault, so I was unaware of the dangerous fault - as are all UK drivers unless they service the car with a VW garage (because garages were issued with Workshop Actions, but no letters were sent out to owners). VW UK refuse to acknowledge Duty of Care to replace parts with huge safety implications, as no letters of recall have ever been issued to UK drivers - unlike in USA, China, S E Asia, Australia, New Zealand, where parts are replaced up to 10 years after manufacture to ensure safety. Where is the Duty of Care towards UK customers? After 5 weeks of talking to VW Customer Care, they have refused to take responsibility

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: Golf safety issue
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2017, 20:42 »
how old is the car?
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: Golf safety issue
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2017, 09:13 »
Bit of Googling results in an article that points to a voluntary recall happening in 2013, after some issues were apparent in particular climates but it's not something I would say is widespread.  Has the car had the oil and filter changed?
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.