Author Topic: Golf Adaptive cruise control sensor Stolen  (Read 5488 times)

Offline JT123

• Just got here
Golf Adaptive cruise control sensor Stolen
« on: 17 November 2018, 10:44 »
Hello. I was wondering has anyone else had The adaptive cruise control/auto breaking sensor stolen. £600+ for a new one Plus it then needs calibrating at a further cost of £450. I can't beleave such an expensive part can be stolen?. My Gtd is a 2016. I know newer models have the sensor behind the Vw badge making it harder to steal possibly? Obviously it will have to be replaced. As now neither the cruise control or start stop work. Mine was stolen whilst my car was on my drive. That won't happen again as I will park right against the house making it virtually impossible to gain access to the sensor. Is anyone aware if there is a way to secure the Acc unit much better than Volkswagon Germany designed

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Golf Adaptive cruise control sensor Stolen
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2018, 15:40 »
As long as the bracket hasn't been damaged then it won't need calibrating. Has it just been clipped off and unplugged?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline JT123

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2018, 18:42 »
Hi. Thankyou for your message. Yes only unclipped So bracket still on car.  But cut wires and took the plug. Would hate the new one (next week) to get stolen. Does anyone know if the new grill type sensor can be fitted to a 2016?

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2018, 20:23 »
I don't know if this is possible but could you make a warranty claim for a new one stating VW have not made it secure and it has been pinched ? I on reflection think it may not be successful though.

Offline JT123

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2018, 07:29 »
Hiya. Re warranty claim. I phoned Volkswagon UK customer service on Friday. They have opened a case and I was told to expect a call this coming week. I based it on the design change on the Mk7.5 Now secured in place. So did Vw know the previous design was poorly secured.. I will update on this topic

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2018, 09:41 »
I highly doubt you'll get anywhere with a warranty claim. By the same token what if anything was stolen from your car, wheels, wiper blades for example. Unfortunately it's just one of those things that happen and the part has been stolen to order. Your going to need a new wiring loom if it's all been cut so £600 sounds a bit cheap. It doesn't need calibrating, i think that's just your dealer being over cautious. Once the new radar has been fitted if it doesn't throw any errors then it won't need adjusting. As for retrofitting the new style I suppose it's possible if you have lots of £££ but when I looked into it the parts alone were upwards of £1500 before even trying to fit and the entire front end needs to come off.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2018, 11:57 »
Sorry to hear, damn that's one expensive part.. maybe try TPS and see if they can offer a bit of discount for you?

I guess it could be possible to fit the new type grille but it could be different, they changed headlights, bumper and some people say the wings differ too, if grille fitted on its own you could just extend wiring if it's same connector/pinouts
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 12:01 by Golf_GT_TDI »

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2018, 12:01 »
Double post please delete

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2018, 15:08 »
I fitted a used one for a customer recently who paid £100 for it on ebay. the bracket and plug were undamaged so it was just a case of bolting it in and clearing the component protection with odis.

Offline JT123

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2018, 15:39 »
Hi. Thankyou for my replys. New one fitted today. I can see there is plenty of room to have something fitted to make things alot harder to get this one stolen. Until then I park very close to my house Making a quick steal impossible. I don't think they would go to the trouble of trying to even get to it now whilst at home And hopefully they would be on their way. Yes it could easily be taken whilst parked at the shops But that's a chance everyone has to live with. Volkswagon UK didn't want to know Saying its the same as if your wheels got stolen We wouldn't be held responsible enough to contribute to those either. I had to correct her on this saying Wheels come with locking nuts Where this expensive part dosn't offers any security what so ever.