Author Topic: How are you finding your GTD performance?  (Read 29162 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
How are you finding your GTD performance?
« on: 21 November 2013, 18:29 »
So I've now clocked up a measly 850 miles over 6 weeks and I find the acceleration to be somewhat sluggish at times, mostly when its very cold or just setting off! And then when the engines been running for a short while acceleration is very nice but not constantly very nice!

Maybe I need more miles on the clock to wake up the engine and its not ideal coming from a diesel 150BHP GT TDI either as the difference is not overly noticeable at times (speed wise)

What's everyone else's opinion on your GTD's performance?
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: How are you finding your GTD performance?
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2013, 18:59 »
Seems slightly less potent than my old Scirocco 170 tdi, dissapointingly. Sometimes I wonder whether the gtd has a power limiting function when the engine is cold. Saw my dealership about lacking power and mpg. Apparently be only look into it when enough people complain.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2013, 19:34 »
I agree... and I think this coincides with my previous post about Normal mode feeling quicker than Sport, I now believe it was a case of me starting in Sport, then switching to Normal once the engine warmed up so it felt quicker!

I have to say though I recently saw a 2006 Megane Sport (175bhp) pull away and I was more impressed with that than what I felt in the GTD (I used to have this Megane model so I know the power output difference)

Maybe thats why VW added the engine growl in sport mode to deceive us  :undecided:

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2013, 19:39 »
I'm more than happy with the performance of my car but I've come from a 1.4 Ibiza before this. I think the main problem with the performance is how refined it is. You barely have to touch the throttle and you're at 60+ in 3rd.

Mine does struggle to get the power down on 2nd if I slam the accelerator down but its manageable.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2013, 19:53 »
I think you're right KyleB - For me coming from a similar engine spec its not massively different but I've been following the hype of the stats and how everyone said those figures were outstanding and that set my expectations really high. Although performance differs on environment, I am swayed towards monkeyhangers comment or maybe the car really does need a good run in.

Still though I love this car and its still fairly new to me to see what its potential is or hoping is :)

Offline geez

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2013, 20:13 »
Very early days driving my wife's GTD + DSG but I'd be inclined to wait for the oil temp to rise before pushing too hard.
Once warm with the gearshift in S and for a diesel it seems plenty quick enough.
Against my manual S2000 with its raucous, howling 9000 rpm, my wife hates it, the Golf delivers tons of oomph in total comfort and is probably still tight with just over 6000 miles.
I love the S2000 but with the flappy paddles to play with I'm enjoying the Golf.
It's the noise the S2000 makes that really adds to the excitement so perhaps the Golf could be just a little too refined for some.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2013, 07:24 »
I think you need to define "plenty quick enough". Coming from a 170TDI CR Scirocco, and previously having a 140TDI CR Scirocco, I can say that mine is lacking in power (a little) and torque (a lot).

My car is a smidge slower than my 170, and feels like it has the torque of the 140. 5th and 6th gear acceleration in my GTD are poor next to the 170TDI Roc, feeling on a par with my 140TDI Roc. The GTD will wow if you are coming from a 120PS car. The GTD is far less willing to pull on torque than the 170 was if you say find yourself in 6th at 60mph and want to accelerate to 80mph.

I tried "Normal" in my car today about 3 miles into my journey and it did seem to feel livelier and my mpg was lower than normal. I got to work and the fan started blaring when I switched off - undergoing a regen, so it may have been just that.

If my car doesn't improve on output and mpg, and there is "nothing" wrong with it (got about 1850 miles on now), i'm going to feel more cheated than I already do.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2013, 07:31 »
mine doesn't feel sluggish or underpowered. problem is people are comparing it to previous cars and you can't. it's entirely different as Georgek has said and what kyle said about it being refined is spot on. the gtd is a very quick car but also very smooth where the old engines were like a bag of spanners for refinement. no problem in my gtd for acceleration in any gear.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2013, 07:48 »
I think my previous car (or a MK6 GTD) is the closest comparison you could get to a MK7 GTD, and I would expect with a 14PS advantage on paper and supposedly 0.6s faster in the 0-62 sprint should yield a noticeable difference.

I have conceded that i'm not going to see any great changes in the 0-62 time because the traction is so poor in comparison to my Scirocco - I never had any tramping in the Scirocco....ever. Not even full throttle. The tyres were 10mm wider (might make a tiny difference), and Pirelli P7s, then Michelin Pilot Sport 3s. The GTD brochure prominently states "anti-tramping function" as a key GTD feature. Not on my GTD it isn't.

But initial traction and low end performance aside, improved smoothness or not (which may just mean watching your dials as the car may be doing more than you think it is from just the feel of it), my GTD is lacking in torque in the higher gears. Sometimes i'm convinced they put a 2.0TDI 150 lump in, instead of the GTD engine.

For mcmaddy, coming from a Tiguan, the difference will be clear. Even a 170TDI with 4WD will feel a lot slower in the change of pace in the upper gears than even my GTD as it stands - it is a bigger and heavier car.

Offline Phil 117

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2013, 10:33 »
I think it's as mentioned, maybe it's refinement etc.

When I did a test drive (admittedly on a 2.0 TDI GT DSG), it didn't feel as quick as the 2.2 i-DTEC Civic I was in at the time.

In reality, the two cars are very similar in power, torque etc, but it just felt like the Civic was quicker, even though it wasn't. It's just that it does it so easily I think.

But that being said, similar to your Roc's, I was in an A4 Allroad with the same engine (well actually it was the newer 177), and in 6th, that thing pulled ridiculously good. Would hit the torque straight away and accelerate, hardly any turbo lag.
Recently sold my GTD.