Author Topic: 1.8T AUM Turbo problem!  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Bluelarky

• Just got here
1.8T AUM Turbo problem!
« on: 14 January 2017, 19:53 »
Evening people, bit confused with what's going on with my turbo at the min!
I can hear it spool up when i'm setting off slowly but as soon as i pick up any speed, it sort of sounds as if it has a really quiet tapping and then just sqeels loads, as if it's really trying but just cant open up...
Also, not sure if it's related but i have a bad water leak at the minute, coming from the thermostat, so getting that changed next.

Anybody able to give me some pointers on what to look out for or do i just need invest in another turbo? :/

Gracias!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: 1.8T AUM Turbo problem!
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2017, 20:58 »
The tapping noise is probably exhaust gas leaking from cracks in the exhaust housing, this unfortunately is a common trait with the K03 and generally means a replacement housing at best.

The best thing you can do is get the TIP off and see if you can spin the compressor wheel freely and also check for play. Bent fins can make a right racket against the compressor housing if the spring washer has snapped leaving you with in/out play.

Also if it is dead don't just go throwing a new turbo on there and hoping for the best. Some investigation will be needed as to why it has let go; this could mean dropping the sump to check for debris blocking the pick up (very common in the Mk4) and maybe checking the oil feed/return pipes as well. You could also pull the turbo apart yourself as well, you'll have nothing to lose and you'll probably be surprised at how easy it is :wink:

The gaskets and parts you need to put the turbo back on is around £100 so it's not a cheap job and a lot of hassle so it's something you only want to do once if you can help it (talking from experience)

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Bluelarky

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2017, 12:12 »
Thanks for the quick reply Wazzer! Does this also apply to the K03s? As this is the turbo i have (Not clued up on turbos!!) Also, if i do need to purchase a replacement exhaust housing, where's best to get one from online?
Will take a proper look outside, when I've shaken this bastard cold off!
Also, can the car run ok with the turbo removed or is that a road I don't want to go down? lol (Just buying myself some time)

Cheers again mate!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2017, 14:13 »
Itll bot run right as the compression will effectivley be dropped without the extra air.
Ko3 ko3s use the same manifolds and housings.