Author Topic: Annoying and rather weird sound  (Read 2193 times)

Offline .kiz

• Not said much yet
Re: Annoying and rather weird sound
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2013, 15:34 »
Its an 020 gearbox. This was the thread i spotted about a mk3 gti with a mk2 derv box:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=navu48bc7cc08dsekr3ks07fc0;topic=99278.0

Wasnt surd though if anyone had popped ahead with it and if it shows any beneficial signs or not.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2013, 21:44 »
mk3 golf 1.9d or td box would be fine. first 3 gears are same as gti box but 4/5th are slightly longer for better cruising speeds. not massive difference though. chc or chd code is the ones to go for. you may need to change drive flanges and clutch centre disc though.

Offline .kiz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2013, 09:04 »
Brilliant thanks. As i say i have found an 8v GTI at a breakers yard, just want to know my options incase its gone thanks.

VW BUSH

« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2013, 11:18 »
Stick a 3.9 fd into a std gti box if your going to do a rebuild. It's the best mod you can do to a Mk3 gti.
I expect your diff housing is fckd so get a complete box whatever you do. Make sure new box has bolted diff kit fitted as an old box could let go on you just as quickly.

Offline .kiz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2013, 12:26 »
Ah awesome i will go for that once i get a bit more money. And they have 5 or 6 GTIs at the breakers yard so i will find the one with the lowest possible mileage.

Offline .kiz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2013, 10:35 »
So after many cups of tea and slating the haynes manual, its finally back to life! Took out the old box and you could hear the diff rattling inside. Thanks again guys