Author Topic: Annoying and rather weird sound  (Read 2182 times)

Offline .kiz

• Not said much yet
Annoying and rather weird sound
« on: 11 November 2013, 19:08 »
First of all, hello! Thanks for taking the time to read this and i really hope i can get this fixed.

I was driving home yesterday, car running smooth when suddenly, as i took a left turn, the car lets out a loud "clunk" and all of a sudden i lose all power. Now when i put it into any gear, it does not stall just lets out a clunky mechanical sound.

Looking into it i thought it could be that the driveshaft has popped out on the inner side. So i jacked it up, spun the wheel in neutral and the other did manage to turn, ruling out that one.

The higher the gear i put it in, the louder the clunking gets. It does not stall the car with the clutch right up, but it makes the speedo read "10mph". When i put the clutch back down to the floor again, the clunking sound goes away and the mph drops to 0.

I have filmed a short video with the sounds and example of the speedo here:
http://youtu.be/D7XjAZgnLs8

Thanks to anyone who can help, i am literally lost here.

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: Annoying and rather weird sound
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2013, 20:22 »
Seems like a gearbox  fault to me .as you have a speedo reading but no drive ,diff may have gone pop

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2013, 20:56 »
Sounds like diff problem.Is it an 8v Gti ?.

Offline .kiz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2013, 21:03 »
yeah 8v GTI. Ive just chocked the front end up, taken off the wheels, popped it into gear and tried revving slightly. Both discs seem to be spinning

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2013, 21:12 »
Sounds like one of the smaller gears in the diff has broken.If you can put it in gear,take you're foot right off the clutch and car does'nt stall it's like one side of the diff is not engaging (like one wheel is slipping on snow).

You're probably looking at another box and good 8v boxes are not so easy to find.

Shame it's not a 16v as i have a good box for one of those that i could have supplied/delivered cheap  :smiley:

Offline .kiz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2013, 21:26 »
awesome thanks. Well a local silverlake to me has about 4/5 MK3 GTIs sitting there. I will have a look and also have a look at exactly what the previous owner has popped into this car, only for an apparent 10.1 0-60 it is certainly more pokey than that.

Thanks again guys :)

Offline GOLF-MK3-GTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2013, 23:52 »
The only common faults on the 8V GTI box are. The diff and the reverse idler. I recently got new diff put in mine and a new reverse idler, with labour the total came to £180.

You can go about changing the crownwheel and pinion, but if the rest of the cogs look in good nick. Don't bother with them as these can result in a full gearbox recon and can cost you ££££.

Offline .kiz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2013, 23:58 »
Well ive got a quote for a gearbox for around £50. Swapping a gearbox i can do as i have another guy willing to help.

Just as a question, has anyone heard or done the mk2 diesel gearbox? I know a few other things would need to be changed, but apparently it offers shorter gear ratios 1-4 and a longer 5th gear.

Offline gasketface

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2013, 11:34 »
you can also put a 16v gearbox in it but you have to change the pedal box as well plus clutch and flywheel.Not sure about the ratio's though.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2013, 12:47 »
you ant the gearbox code and then check what ratios and final drive it has, you may regret the choice of ratio's (the 020 from a mk3 diesel are not closer ratio'd most are lower ratio'd in 3 and 4 with wider gaps elsewhere and more suitable for the diesel torque)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk