Author Topic: Mk2 boot cylinder lock removal  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Texaroo

• Just got here
Mk2 boot cylinder lock removal
« on: 26 October 2016, 16:44 »
Hi, my boot cylinder lock will not turn with the key but ok with central locking. I have removed inside trim and removed screw that holds the curved metal horse shoe shaped bit that pushes onto white t bar connected to bar that operates the actual lock mechanism. But the lock cylinder is not coming out, should this come out now or do I need to remove something else. Need to get it out to clean cylinder lock. Did notice that ball bearing and spring were missing , I'm sure this would not affect the rotation of key though. Any help would be great.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Mk2 boot cylinder lock removal
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2016, 21:39 »
To get them out the doors you have to put the key in to remove them, im sure the boot would be the same.
Best bet is to remove rear plynth and take the lock mech out its self to see whats going on

Offline oakgreener

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2016, 22:00 »
Yeah, the tumbler will pull out if you insert the key...................That's if you have the correct key. Has any locks been changed? Many have.

Offline Texaroo

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2016, 08:04 »
Thanks for your replies, yeah I have put key in and twisted and pulled but not coming out , just wondered whether I have to disconnect anything else, it doesn't look like I have to but not 100% sure. The key is correct one, I have owned car for 20 years so have used to use key to unlock it years ago but proves should exercise these locks now and again in case central locking ever fails.

Offline Batterseaplayer

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2017, 14:09 »
Did you resolve this?

I have a similar issue in that my key will not go in and turn in the boot lock, so was hoping to remove lock to see if I could fit it but I'm guessing I will have to replace the lock. I know VW heritage have a new lock and key (not so good if you want to be on one key though).

Cheers