Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 371455 times)

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #20 on: 16 July 2011, 12:46 »
I'd be in for a Twin Turbo GTD in 2015 - it'd make it the car we've been waiting for! :drool:

Waiting list is 3 yrs  :rolleyes:

Short for a VW  :grin:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 16 July 2011, 13:10 »
This thread is an interesting way to gauge how the future Mk7 Forum will turn out. How many of us present Mk6 owners will post on it, I wonder? My sincere hope is it won't be as dead as the R Forum. This would be a great shame.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #22 on: 16 July 2011, 14:44 »
I keep having thoughts about an Alfa Giulietta.
Not sure I'm brave enough to actually buy one though..

Stunning looking car, but I was in one the other week and, what a crock of sh1te.

My parents neighbour works in R+D for Honda and he brought one home for the weekend. They buy rival cars and pull them appart to work out how they are made. The Alfa virtually fell apart, whereas they are scratching their heads trying to work out how VW make the Golf as well as they do, as that is the benchmarch for the next Civic.
Funny as Nissan thought the reverse.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 16 July 2011, 15:17 »
Range Rover Evoque for me, nearly new though as i don't think i could take the depreciation! :sick:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #24 on: 16 July 2011, 17:18 »
Range Rover Evoque for me, nearly new though as i don't think i could take the depreciation! :sick:

Don't think you can buy a new one easily. Waiting list is c.15-18 months!

They are clearly more WAGs around than we realised!

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #25 on: 17 July 2011, 07:53 »
I keep having thoughts about an Alfa Giulietta.
Not sure I'm brave enough to actually buy one though..

Snap. Great looking car.

But no sure I would actually take the plunge with the alfa so probably a mk7 golf or a bmw 3 series or audi. Not getting a new one 2013 though.

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 17 July 2011, 08:17 »
Martin, dear, we'll go shopping together in 2013. Handbags at dawn or something like that!

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 17 July 2011, 09:03 »
As per the title, what car are you buying next?

I think it will be either the MK7 Golf GTI, MK6/7 Golf R or a Porsche Cayman R. I think if I get the PCR, I will have to have left London and have garaging space. I've never been comfortable with the Porsche image though so it would have to really strike a chord like the GTI. I would want aircon in mine (sod the weight) and as for the vinyl livery on the side, that'd be straight off (there, that's about 50g saved).  :laugh:

On a practical level, I think total cost of ownership would potentially temper my enthusiasm for getting something completely self indulgent. God knows what emission and road taxes are going to end up looking like in the next 3-4 years.

It's very difficult to enjoy a car and justify a performance car in London when average journey speeds are around 10mph though. Maybe I should be looking at a Toyota iQ?  :cry:

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 17 July 2011, 09:24 »
Good morning Alex.
Please let's buy the iQ in Cygnet form and look total cocks. I'll have mine in Princess Pink which is light red in your speak. Of course your's will be Butch Bleck.
Seriously, I will definitely buy a  Mk7 GTI. I need the rear space for my Princess make-up kit and the Zimmer which will have ACC. It will be a Porsche design so I can say I own a Porsche.
The GTI is amazing. I did 3 Heathrow runs yesterday and the car just swallowed people and luggage with ease. It flew down the M4 very quietly at truly very wicked speeds. The roads were empty and the car was given lots of encouragement by me. It was fast, very fast. My passengers were mesmerised.
I was therefore convinced that I would get another GTI.
BTW, the GTD would not have been able to reach those speeds. :evil:
Imagine what the car will be like when I get it re-mapped. :smug:
I am truly smitten. :smug:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 17 July 2011, 10:13 »
Another mk6 GTI/D.*

Having driven 300 miles yesterday with absolutely no sleep for a day or so my car was the perfect ally. We all drive Golfs so we all know their weaknesses and strenths, and we all take these things for granted most of the time. However, when your driving companion for those 300 miles works for a huge leasing and rental firm and points out the number of ways a Golf is better than most other cars, many of which cost far more than a Golf, it sort of puts things into perspective.
The new mk7 is a few years away yet, will be too wide to fit though the narrow entrance to my garage (the mk6 only has an inch or two either side of the mirror) and probably too expensive, so I'll either get another mk6 or just buy a cheap small Diesel family runabout and grow old gracefully.
The only difference is that I'd probably prefer a DSG next time. But talking to Jim means possibly I wouldn't after all! 

* Contents liable to change depending on what sort of mood I wake up in on any given day
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner