Author Topic: Water Ingress - Rear Doors  (Read 1896 times)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Water Ingress - Rear Doors
« on: 20 May 2018, 15:34 »
Hello,

Ever since I got the car (2nd hand 65 plate) its had this fushty smell that I've never been able to get rid of despite wet vac, enzyme eater and various decontamination spray bomb things.  I think I might have found out what it is.  I noticed today when I opened the rear door that there was water pooled on the 'inside' sill.  Pulling the sill back reveals some rusty coloured water so this has been going on a while.

Has anyone seen this before and have a fix?

Edit:

This is what I've got (not my video) - so its the rear speakers that at letting by...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Lp24dPtl0

Anyone just siliconed around the speakers?  Can't be arsed with umpteen dealer visits to get this sorted...  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 17:05 by ub7rm »
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: Water Ingress - Rear Doors
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018, 17:13 »
I wonder if there if a plastic membrane inside the door that has either come lose or been perforated.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2018, 17:35 »
I’ve seen this a few times and it is indeed a poor seal on the rear speakers. On those occasions that I’ve heard of it, it’s all been within warranty period and the dealers have sorted under warranty, so it’s certainly something VW are aware of.

To be honest, I’d probably sort this myself (as I don’t trust dealer workshops), by drilling out, the rivets holding the speakers on, replacing the rubber seal (or use mastic or similar to seal around the speaker) the re-rivet the speaker back on. Sounds like an easy enough job ?
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 17:37 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2018, 18:27 »
Yeah I'm with you sootchucker, to be honest I'm relieved I've found the most likely culprit for the funky smell!  I'm debating just putting silicone round the outside of the speaker rather than the inside. If that doesn't work I'll get more professional.   
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline silver38

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 20:54 »
I also had this problem. This link has lots of info.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34902
MKVII GTD Manual - Pure White, 5Door, Adaptive chassis control, Advance telephone connection, Climate comfort windscreen, Discover Nav pro, High beam assist, Keyless entry, Sport and Sound pack, Park assist system with steering assist, Rear view camera, Rear side airbags with rear seatbelt warning, Winter pack, 5 Year Warranty

Offline Cecil

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2018, 22:13 »
I also had this problem. Dealer knew about the issue and fixed under the warranty. apparently its the seal between the door speakers. hasn't reoccurred after 18 months.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2018, 23:45 »
Thanks, just did a bit of a ghetto fix by sealing all round the edge of the speaker with silicone.  If that doesn't cure it I'll drill out and apply sealant between the speaker and the door frame.  I think the passenger side has been like this for a while judging by the stains.  The drivers side more recently. 

From what I've seen of the 'gasket' it doesn't really look like the sort of material you would choose to create a watertight seal.

I love golfs, always give you something to do.  :rolleyes:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline 09GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2018, 19:04 »
I had this on a 2014 GTI
The dealer replaced the whole carpet under warranty as water was getting in through the speaker
The car was stinking from the stale water
2014 Mk 7 GTI 5 door , Discover Pro , Pan Roof , DSG , ACC, Xenons , Parking  Sensors  , Rear Tints, KESSY.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2018, 13:33 »
Sit rep:

Drivers side door - complete success by just applying silicone around the outside of the speaker.

Passenger side door - 90% reduction in the amount of water, doesn't pool onto the inner trim anymore but some water is sitting in the rubber seal around the door itself and really water shouldn't be getting that far.  So I took the door trim off again and had a hose going against the glass to see where it was coming from.  Basically around two of the rivets the speaker has cracked and this is allowing water in.  Since I had the card off I plastered the cracks with silicone but I'll also be ordering a new speaker as I don't really expect this to work.

Conclusion - externally applied silicone works if its 'just' the seal that has gone, but if the speaker housing is cracked around the rivet holes its new speaker time...
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate