Author Topic: Golf mk7 gti timing chain issue  (Read 6614 times)

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
Golf mk7 gti timing chain issue
« on: 25 November 2020, 21:14 »
Not sure if there is any owners that have had any issues with timing chain on the golf mk7 gti’s?
I recently noticed only when the car warms up it sounds like a tractor  :sick:. If you put your hand on timing cover you can feel the tapping. What confuses me is why on cold there is no noise and the warmer it gets the louder the noise. It runs fine apart from when it idles it’s like it’s skipping a beat.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Golf mk7 gti timing chain issue
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2020, 08:24 »
I think the injectors are quite loud tapping, I have not read of any chain issues at all. What year and mileage are you at?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2020, 08:42 »
My 2 year old 7.5 GTI has quite loud injectors, nothing to worry about - can only really hear them with the bonnet open from outside the car - inside with bonnet closed, nothing
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2020, 08:47 »
It’s a 2014 manual with 60k on the clock. It’s definitely got the rattling noise coming from cam cover, when you put your hands on the cam cover you can feel the tapping

Online clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2020, 08:58 »
I wouldn't be foolish enough to diagnose a noise I hadn't heard over the internet.

What I can tell you is timing chain tensioners work off of oil pressure, when the engine warms up, oil becomes thinner, oil pressure is lower at tickover, so you may be getting less tension from the tensioner pushing on the chain allowing for a very small ammount of play in the chain, making it noisier?

This is a possibility based on what you have posted and could be a route for investigation rather than a certainty by a fool responding on an internet car forum (me!) :)

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2020, 09:08 »
Haha.... I’ll try and get a vid uploaded with noise....from what I noticed it starts up normal and quiet and soon as it warms up it sounds like a tractor. Forgot to mention did have RAC have a quick look and he pointed cam sections needs looking at....he said sounds like chain is catching the plastic cover??

Online clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2020, 09:12 »
Lack of tension from the tensioner could lead to chain "slap" hitting plastic cover, less pressure on tensioner as hot oil thins..
We could be on to something here Poirot? :)

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2020, 09:18 »
Am gona try and pop down to local inde and see what they think.....  :whistle:

Offline K9golf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2020, 20:15 »
Update.....bad news
The garage has gone and changed the timing kit and only to say problem still there?!
On cold start no issue running quiet and soon as it starts to warm up rattle noise starts to appear. At this moment they did mention the oil pressure was very low?

Any ideas?   :cry:

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2020, 21:17 »
What “garage” did you end up going to ? Doesn’t look like they diagnosed the problem very well. As others have said before, these ea888 units are very tappetty and there are little to no failures of the chain or tensioners unlike the mk6. What is the garage recommending to remedy the low oil pressure ? Have you had the car scanned for codes since the work was carried out ?
« Last Edit: 09 December 2020, 21:20 by Carbon VW »
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox