Author Topic: Corona and my GTI  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: Corona and my GTI
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2020, 15:15 »
Cheers all.  Yes, I think I'll probably just go for some good old fashioned 1990's style drives once a week for the sheer hell of it.  Although I'm very OCD about keeping the car clean... I'm also lazy!  If it sits there 2/3 weeks I'd rather it be spotless, so I didn't want to use it for 1/2 hour then have to spend 3 hours cleaning it each week.  That said, it's a small problem in the grand scheme of things and I'll probably be glad of the fresh air and getting out of the house.  First priority is to actually stay alive, have something to eat and ideally something to wipe my a$$ on!  Keep safe all.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2020, 16:52 »
Cheers all.  Yes, I think I'll probably just go for some good old fashioned 1990's style drives once a week for the sheer hell of it.  Although I'm very OCD about keeping the car clean... I'm also lazy!  If it sits there 2/3 weeks I'd rather it be spotless, so I didn't want to use it for 1/2 hour then have to spend 3 hours cleaning it each week.  That said, it's a small problem in the grand scheme of things and I'll probably be glad of the fresh air and getting out of the house.  First priority is to actually stay alive, have something to eat and ideally something to wipe my a$$ on!  Keep safe all.

Before the TCR (which is permanently filthy) I was much like you, I used another car for commuting and was a big fanny about getting my Golf GTI/R out unless the weather was perfect.
Just choose the right weather to use the car when you have the choice of when to use it and it’ll stay fairly clean aside from light dust for quite a few weeks. 
Pick a dry day to go bog roll and baked bean hunting to keep your OCD in relative check!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2020, 17:44 »
I really wouldn't worry about having a blast out and not giving it a wash. Seriously. Bigger things to worry about!

Week 7 and no wash...  And I'm a qualified detailer.. :cry:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2020, 18:11 »
I really wouldn't worry about having a blast out and not giving it a wash. Seriously. Bigger things to worry about!

A qualified detailer who keeps avoiding the opportunity to detail my cars :whistle: :laugh:

Good to see yours looking mucky. Mine looks odd as it's filthy bar one clean door :grin:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2020, 18:16 »
My Mk2 sits in the garage most of the time. It's always plugged into a battery conditioner. I keep very little fuel in it, so that when in does get filled up to be used, the stale fuel gets really diluted. If I'm leaving it for the winter 6 months when it's not taxed, I'll pump the tyres up to 40 odd psi so they keep their shape. I've got a note on the dash to remind me to let some air out before I drive it. As said before, don't leave the parking brake on.

To be honest tho', there's little point in keeping a newish car parked up. Unlike my Mk2, yours will be just sat there loosing money, only benefiting the next owner.
What he says, i have done similar for 30 years without issues. My mk6 , mk1 and mini have never seen winter.
 Battery maybe your only issue if not conditioned. I left the mk6 3 months when newish without issue but much longer and vagcom would flag central electric low battery and it starts going into close down mode.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2020, 18:22 »

A qualified detailer who keeps avoiding the opportunity to detail my cars :whistle: :laugh:

Good to see yours looking mucky. Mine looks odd as it's filthy bar one clean door :grin:

One day soon Watts, if you were just a bit closer...!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2020, 18:51 »

I’ve seen some filth on the Internet Jim, but that takes the biscuit.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #17 on: 20 March 2020, 18:52 »
I left mine for 4 months while I was in the South Atlantic and all I did was leave the handbrake off (and in gear), pump the tyres up a bit and disconnect the battery.

After 4 months it was fine apart from lots of errors on the dash (which cleared within a few miles) and a layer of dust.

Car's nowadays are a lot more resilient than they used to be to being stood for a while, especially in a garage where the discs won't get a layer of rust from the rain.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 20 March 2020, 20:00 »
I use mine at weekends as I do loads of miles since I bought beacuse of a new job, i have a 2nd car ( no grandness a C1 ) i couldn't put all those boring commuter miles on my GTI I didn't buy it as a commuter i bought it as someting to enjoy and look after .
But its nice thing to use at weekends its treat rather than a car.
 i appreciate it more , strange really as its a Golf
ive got bikes parked up and it really doeasnt do them any good , use it for a spirited blast down the shops works for me  :wink:

« Last Edit: 20 March 2020, 20:05 by Jason b »
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2020, 09:28 »

Amen to that! Get it out and blast around some A-Roads whilst they're quiet, that's what I'm doing daily. Mutley75, look away now, it's not been washed for weeks...

:grin:

« Last Edit: 21 March 2020, 10:47 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.