Author Topic: Corona and my GTI  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Corona and my GTI
« on: 20 March 2020, 12:57 »
I don’t want to start a thread about coronavirus - there’s more than enough discussion going on about that. But, since working from home five days a week vs the two days I normally do, the GTI hasn’t been out of the garage. Given its nicely cleaned and polished too, I have no intention taking it out for the odd trip to the shops making it instantly dirty again. I’ll use the wife’s Polo for that. So it begs the question - how long should I leave it garaged without using it? The current situ will go on for three months minimum. So is there anything I should watch for that might become a problem? Flat battery, stale fuel etc? I may end up taking it for a spin once a week if need be - but my OCD would compel me to give it a full valet after, ready for the garage again.  :shocked:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
Re: Corona and my GTI
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2020, 13:27 »
Yes, I would try and take it for a spin at least once a week, if only for a few miles to turn to keep things in good service order. It is true that fuel loses its potency over time, but it would probably take a good 6 months for it to become 'stale' as it were, but still completely usable.

I am a very low mileage driver and have been caught out by scored brake disks where the rust builds up on the discs, and the first trip out, it grinds and scores the disks. So I think you will still need to maintain the full valet regime!  :wink:
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2020, 13:27 »
What's stopping you going for a drive? Who cares about washing it, just use it and wash it when it needs it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2020, 13:30 »
I’d say it’s best to give it a weekly run - you can always pick a dry day so the car will stay clean if the thought of a dirty car in your garage is likely to give you sleepless nights :smiley:. I also don’t like my car being dirty, but I don’t feel compelled to clean it after every use, and I don’t have a problem putting it away in the garage if it’s not spotlessly clean. At the end of the day, you no doubt bought your car to enjoy it, so IMO that’s what you should do rather than just keep it locked away in your garage..

Flat battery is the obvious one if a car is left unused for prolonged periods. Also, the tyres may develop flat spots. Don’t know if there may also be a risk of the parking brake seizing on?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2020, 13:46 »
Leave it in gear, with the parking brake off. If you have to leave it longer term, tyre cushions and a battery conditioner are a good idea to keep the tyres from flat spotting and the battery from discharging.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2020, 14:20 »
drive it as much as you can. You'll never again see the roads so quiet :grin:
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2020, 14:57 »
Another vote here for just get out and drive it! We've all bought cars for reasons other than pure practicality so why not see this as an opportunity to go for a drive just for the drive and not because you have to! At least you have a garage to keep it in, I've gone to working from home from today and mine has to sit outside getting covered in crap all day :laugh:

So true!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2020, 15:04 »

This!  :grin:  ^^^

It’s Spring (give or take) so lighter evenings and hopefully marginally better weather. You’ll have plenty of car cleaning time being unable to do much else once Netflix has been exhausted.
Take the car out once a week or more, drive economically as we don’t know if there will be fuel shortages soon (and no doubt the bog roll hoarding brainless selfish idiots will all rush out to stock up on fuel soon making supplies go the same way as food and thus giving further problems to emergency service workers who need to travel to work but might not be able to get fuel) and keep everything loosened up and prevent seals drying out including aircon system. The car is fairly new so age related degradation isn’t a big issue.
Batteries don’t lose charge as quickly in warmer weather.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2020, 15:08 »
Are you not able to go for a drive? I often take any opportunity to just get out and drive on some nice local roads.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2020, 15:12 »
My Mk2 sits in the garage most of the time. It's always plugged into a battery conditioner. I keep very little fuel in it, so that when in does get filled up to be used, the stale fuel gets really diluted. If I'm leaving it for the winter 6 months when it's not taxed, I'll pump the tyres up to 40 odd psi so they keep their shape. I've got a note on the dash to remind me to let some air out before I drive it. As said before, don't leave the parking brake on.

To be honest tho', there's little point in keeping a newish car parked up. Unlike my Mk2, yours will be just sat there loosing money, only benefiting the next owner.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.