Author Topic: Help needed for throttle body clean  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Lisamk3

• Not said much yet
Help needed for throttle body clean
« on: 29 January 2010, 14:38 »
Hey Guys,
Done a search about cleaning the throttle body and i'm reading that this is quite a simple operation with a bit of wd40 and old toothbrush.

Being a complete newbie and inexperienced to the whole mechanic thing, was wandering if there was any step by step guides, tips etc knockin around before I attempt it. :undecided:

Kinda nervous that i'm gonna completely bugger summit up.

Ta in advance :smiley:

New Stereo - U gotta love it!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: Help needed for throttle body clean
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2010, 14:43 »
I'd use carb cleaner rather than WD40, you can buy a big can of it for £3 or so. Toothbrush will do the trick but best method is removing the entire throttle body, it's only 4 screws, 1 at each corner and you need to unplug the switch and an emissions pipe, nothing else. To refit is the same as removal, 4 screws, 1 switch and 1 emissions pipe and you will end up with a far cleaner throttle body  :smiley:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2010, 11:49 »
Plus get a new throttle body gasket, the old one might be damaged on removal.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2010, 18:04 »
It's definitely worth whipping it right off the engine for what it takes, you'll be able to clean it much more thoroughly and its easier than leaning over the car whilst you're doing it. Wedge the butterfly open by sticking something against the throttle cable stop as well that way you can get inside it properly. I used some ultra fine wire wool and carb cleaner and it was glistening like new after about half an hours worth of elbow grease.

Offline benvictors

• I live here
  • bgk Tuning - coming soon!!!
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2010, 20:33 »
Hi, im pretty new to this kind of thing but did it myself on Sunday on my MK3 8v.
1. Remove the Carbon Cannister hose on the top of the TB
2. Remove the 4 bolts (5mm Hex Key)
3. Remove the 2 water hoses coming from the bottom of the TB
    (Follow the hoses back and undo the clips to give yourself some slack in order to get to get them off easier)
4. Remove the wiring plug (Took a bit of force but be careful not to damage it)
    You can now fully remove the TB, I decided to port mine whilst it was out (Go here - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2065316)
    Thoroughly cleaned after and re-installed with the original gasket, needed a new clamp on the Carbon cannister hose.
Hope this helps!!

Offline Lisamk3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2010, 23:30 »
Thanks for the help guys :wink:

Just waiting for it to stop bloody raining so I can get on and do it. I'm hoping this solves my problem.

Thanks again, dunno what I'd do without ya.
New Stereo - U gotta love it!

Offline rsmithone

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2010, 18:09 »
i cleaned mine today in the pissing rain didnt even no what one was till i joined this site i undone the 4 bolts removed pipe sprayed carb cleaner
cleaned it up put it on car is running sweet as it kept trying to stall hardest part for this novice was getting the bottom left screw back in lol
god i love this site  :cool:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2010, 13:05 »
I did mine a couple of weeks ago, really easy to do!

Just waiting for it to stop bloody raining so I can get on and do it. I'm hoping this solves my problem.

What problems you having? Irregular idle? Thats what mine was doing, also cut out occastionally when dropped into neutral, gave the TB a damn good clean and problem solved  :cool:

Offline rsmithone

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2010, 14:07 »
at idle mine felt like it was going to cut out only did twice though  all the when i got in to it this morning it was idle at 1500
but went on a drive and guess burnt the carb cleaner out and now its amazing this is my first golf ive owned and i do love it
wish it was a little faster though this sites been a great help so far just got think of the next idea of what i can do lol