Author Topic: Stormtrooper TCR arrives...  (Read 21316 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Stormtrooper TCR arrives...
« Reply #20 on: 06 November 2019, 16:16 »
@ gizzywizzy  Thanks Amanda  :smiley:

@ Philip  Thanks Philip, 99.999% of the population are oblivious to what a TCR is anyway!

@ hertsman  I think just being around these forums counts as deliberation of sorts as they give an insight into whether a car is your sort of car far more than a test drive or two can provide over a greater period of time, added together with road tests and other research.
The TCR is a Clubsport turned up a notch and the mod cons added back in to the spec (front sensors, ambient lighting, winter pack etc) and is likely to be just as rare if not more so despite not having a numbered plaque.
Gone are the athletic and tall good looks of the Nürburgring aero kitted car on Pretorias, replaced by a more muscular and hunkered down Golf which lacks the pedigree but is different in enough ways to make it a very significant step (particularly and most noticeably going from manual to DSG).
Your own experiences along with others including Mr Chapple were all big influences.

If the 48v system was looking like a dead cert on the mk8 I might have forgiven it the questionable (being polite) Scirocco meets Eos meets ID3 meets melted plastic mould looks and held fire for a good while. As it was this car was 2/3rds the cost to jump to a similarly specced new one last time I priced it up in the summer (pre price rises) which were above what I could commit to with expensive grown up kids still bleeding me dry! 

I totally get what you say about feeling liberated after getting rid of ‘collectibles’ hoarded away. Moving house just over five years ago after nearly 20 years in the same home meant 30 odd years of motoring mags were gotten shot of (they made great loft insulation mind you!) along with car bits dating back to my mk2 Golfs donated to local enthusiasts.

I wonder if your old MG’s are still alive? Be nice to think they are.

@ p3asa  Thanks Stevie, really glad you still have your fleet! I can’t believe the R is nearly due its MOT, time flies! I hope you’re keeping well.
I remember well you saying how you were struggling adapting to DSG and it made a refreshing change from people just making the swap and declaring it was the best thing they ever did right afterwards. I just can’t fathom how people can just adapt instantaneously.

The place the DSG should excel - traffic -  is where I find it at its worst. Slow witted pulling away but creeps too fast with zero throttle applied when easing along in semi stationary traffic or manoevering in tight car parks or reversing onto the garage. Horrid on roundabouts in Drive and engine braking lacking too.

But then on open country roads making fast smooth progress is lovely so suddenly the traffic crappiness is forgotten.
Best moment with it so far was creeping up to a red traffic light on the bypass, anticipating the change before the stop start kicked in and letting the gearbox do its thing, without my ham fisted manual gear changes hampering progress, pulling the car up to speed very smoothly.

@ BobbyT  thank you!  :smiley:

Other early days feelings about the car are that I’m warming to the AID more and more surprisingly. Aside from having an ugly FL base model car whizzing across my line of vision as I get out at the end of the journey (much prefer the pre facelift front ends aside from the GTI where it’s 50/50).

Not at all sold on DCC.
Comfort is quite nice but rolls too much, Normal is jigglier than even my Clubsport and Sport puts the gearbox in sport which is even more annoying than Normal.
The passive dampers on mk7’s were well matched to UK roads.

The engine is still a peach.

I love the drilled discs.

I’m warming to the rear diffuser but will never actually like it.
I really like the side skirts.

Fuel economy 10 - 15% worse than the ED40 despite taking it pretty easy. The gearbox again.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 06 November 2019, 17:31 »
Huge congrats on a superb car.

I’m a bit biased as I decided to keep the white one of the two I purchased lol.

I just think white with black details is such a nice combo.

Like the write up too as it’s good to have a comparison.

I’m most definitely a DSG (or SMG, Auto, etc) kind of guy so good to see you’ve gone that route this time.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 06 November 2019, 21:29 »
How’s the MPG in comparison to the R you had?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 07 November 2019, 07:50 »
Not at all sold on DCC.
Comfort is quite nice but rolls too much, Normal is jigglier than even my Clubsport and Sport puts the gearbox in sport which is even more annoying than Normal.

I went the other way Mk7 with DCC and now Mk7.5 without.

I've never missed it - seriously, not once.

Nine hundred quid buys a lot of Jamaica ginger cake and mine still has the special cake drawers too :-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 08 November 2019, 16:11 »
Huge congrats on a superb car.

I’m a bit biased as I decided to keep the white one of the two I purchased lol.

I just think white with black details is such a nice combo.

Like the write up too as it’s good to have a comparison.

I’m most definitely a DSG (or SMG, Auto, etc) kind of guy so good to see you’ve gone that route this time.

Thanks  :smiley:

I’ve just found your thread, somehow I must’ve missed it before. I take my hat off to you for dedication to the cause with that little project :afro: that’s quite amazing what you’ve done going to those lengths!
I bet the exhaust sounds amazing.

How’s the MPG in comparison to the R you had?
My R was a manual and I lived on the outskirts of the city when I had it with a very short commute but would take it for a cross country blast early in the morning from time to time so it’s hard to compare directly.
I’d say similar.
It’s very early days with the TCR yet though so MPG hasn’t settled as I’ve been experimenting.

Not at all sold on DCC.

I went the other way Mk7 with DCC and now Mk7.5 without.

I've never missed it - seriously, not once.

Nine hundred quid buys a lot of Jamaica ginger cake and mine still has the special cake drawers too :-)
Amen to that!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 08 November 2019, 17:40 »
Congratulations on your TCR - looks stunning and I think the white paint always looks better in the metal than from photos (and it looks ace anyway). The contrasting wheels are lovely, I really like that design.
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 10 November 2019, 12:40 »
Congratulations on your TCR - looks stunning and I think the white paint always looks better in the metal than from photos (and it looks ace anyway). The contrasting wheels are lovely, I really like that design.

Thank you Andy  :smiley:

After a couple days using a different car I took the TCR out on Saturday to celebrate a whole week in my possession.
The only reason I mention it is I had a much better day with the DSG!

It was good to look at it fresh after a week of seeing it only in complete darkness too.
It definitely looks lower than the Clubsport and quite aggressive from all angles.

The exhaust is definitely very noisy at idle but I think the CS exhaust was actually slightly more vocal on the move. Not sweet sounding with comedy pops like the M135i on start up though.

It certainly feels more different to the Ed40 than I expected due to added tech etc.
I’m still running it sans pedalbox too. I’m looking forward to getting that fitted but will hold off a while just to get a proper feel for the car and learn the gearbox first.
The R and Ed40 had the box fitted as soon as I got home.
No further mods planned unless a TCU tune becomes a must.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 10 November 2019, 23:10 »

Thanks  :smiley:

I’ve just found your thread, somehow I must’ve missed it before. I take my hat off to you for dedication to the cause with that little project :afro: that’s quite amazing what you’ve done going to those lengths!
I bet the exhaust sounds amazing.

Cheers buddy. Yeah I’m a little nuts sometimes. Should see what I’ve done to my 335i to fit a set of wheels  :whistle: :evil:

The exhaust sounds amazing. So different to the Akra on the 3er. Definitely deeper and louder in the cabin. Just need to decide on the wheels as still not 100% sold on them at the minute.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 11 November 2019, 18:03 »

The place the DSG should excel - traffic -  is where I find it at its worst. Slow witted pulling away but creeps too fast with zero throttle applied when easing along in semi stationary traffic or manoevering in tight car parks or reversing onto the garage. Horrid on roundabouts in Drive and engine braking lacking too.

Try turning the Auto Hold off and using the footbrake like a clutch to control its creeping speed, just like you would with a torque converter auto. That way you don't have to tap the throttle to make it move, them swap to the brake to slow it down. As for engine braking, is it in coasting mode?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 11 November 2019, 18:45 »
Looks fantastic absolutely lovely ,I try not to be to precious over material things however it can be hard , but if you buy it as a tool you can enjoy it as it was made for.
Lovely
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date