Author Topic: Stormtrooper TCR arrives...  (Read 21514 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Stormtrooper TCR arrives...
« Reply #30 on: 12 November 2019, 15:56 »

Cheers buddy. Yeah I’m a little nuts sometimes. Should see what I’ve done to my 335i to fit a set of wheels  :whistle: :evil:

The exhaust sounds amazing. So different to the Akra on the 3er. Definitely deeper and louder in the cabin. Just need to decide on the wheels as still not 100% sold on them at the minute.

The world needs more people like you :afro:  :grin:

Hard to see the wheels properly in your photos on my phone screen but I’ve always found the mk7 Golf shape really fussy to match wheels to for some reason.
On every previous Golf generation I’ve had (rather a lot of them) I’ve gone aftermarket, but after six years of mk7’s (five of them) I’ve stuck with various OEM designs (except my first 2013 GTI which had aftermarket wheels which looked pretty OEM) because the shape of the mk7 seems to suit factory wheels better to my eyes. Mind you I’m getting old and boring.

Keep up the work on yours! Maybe a little tailgate lip spoiler?

The place the DSG should excel - traffic -  is where I find it at its worst. Slow witted pulling away but creeps too fast with zero throttle applied when easing along in semi stationary traffic or manoevering in tight car parks or reversing onto the garage. Horrid on roundabouts in Drive and engine braking lacking too.

Try turning the Auto Hold off and using the footbrake like a clutch to control its creeping speed, just like you would with a torque converter auto. That way you don't have to tap the throttle to make it move, them swap to the brake to slow it down. As for engine braking, is it in coasting mode?

Thanks Simon.
Hmm, could be in coasting mode.
I’ve found a firmer prod on the brakes drops it down a gear or two and provides some engine braking.

Looks fantastic absolutely lovely ,I try not to be to precious over material things however it can be hard , but if you buy it as a tool you can enjoy it as it was made for.
Lovely

Thanks Jason.  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 12 November 2019, 16:57 »
Now getting at one with the TCR am actually finding the DSG far more usable than the R in S, where I abandoned use of it due to the gearing being way too long - This maybe just a MK 7.5 trait and the extra gear to make the 7 but I can keep the TCR in S and it will change up earlier and be more recognisable of not at that point pushing a B road for example but on some shorter route.

Did read a while back that the TCR has the same DSG as the track TCR, which have no idea is true, but there is definitely a different more usable behaviour in S to the MK 7 R

Of course you still getting used to and trying to find some love for the DSG full stop! But be interested to read if anyone else has moved from a MK 7 to a MK 7.5 and found the DSG S more usable?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 12 November 2019, 18:10 »
Now getting at one with the TCR am actually finding the DSG far more usable than the R in S, where I abandoned use of it due to the gearing being way too long - This maybe just a MK 7.5 trait and the extra gear to make the 7 but I can keep the TCR in S and it will change up earlier and be more recognisable of not at that point pushing a B road for example but on some shorter route.

Did read a while back that the TCR has the same DSG as the track TCR, which have no idea is true, but there is definitely a different more usable behaviour in S to the MK 7 R

Of course you still getting used to and trying to find some love for the DSG full stop! But be interested to read if anyone else has moved from a MK 7 to a MK 7.5 and found the DSG S more usable?

I had the 6S DSG in my first Mk7.5 and it wasn't much good unless you were in full attack mode! The 7S DSG is much better, will quickly shift into 2nd instead of holding onto to about 4k and adapts quickly to your throttle input and position.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 12 November 2019, 19:54 »
I think there’s possibly things lost in translation or deliberately ambiguously worded with the TCR press releases and spec sheets and I doubt there’s the same enthusiast following to go digging into part numbers comparing it to the Ed40 and CSS when it comes to steering and suspension.
Bearing in mind the amount of development put into the CSS I’d imagine there was far from a clean sheet of paper used in developing the TCR. Scale of economies and a proven parts bin from the CSS and Cupra Nurburgring record attempts to keep costs down. The suspension on my car, especially at the rear definitely looks more than 5mm lower than the Ed40.

The DSG of the track TCR possibly shares the basic mechanicals of the GTI/R ‘box but ratios and some components are likely bespoke to deal with abuse on a circuit. Would love to be proved wrong.

If I get a clear run later I’ll have a play in Sport once the engine and ‘box is fully warmed through.
Still running the car sans pedalbox and it definitely feels sharper without it than any of my previous mk7 iterations did.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 12 November 2019, 20:57 »
The world needs more people like you :afro:  :grin:

Hmmm not according to my wife  :whistle:

Hard to see the wheels properly in your photos on my phone screen but I’ve always found the mk7 Golf shape really fussy to match wheels to for some reason.
On every previous Golf generation I’ve had (rather a lot of them) I’ve gone aftermarket, but after six years of mk7’s (five of them) I’ve stuck with various OEM designs (except my first 2013 GTI which had aftermarket wheels which looked pretty OEM) because the shape of the mk7 seems to suit factory wheels better to my eyes. Mind you I’m getting old and boring.

Will try and get some better pics but being black is always the issue with pics lol. I’m not keen on black rims tbh so either sell them on or refurb them an anthracite maybe.

I do like some of the OE rims available for the Mk7/7.5 so have toyed with buying a set of OE rims instead but will see.

Keep up the work on yours! Maybe a little tailgate lip spoiler?

Will try lol. Well did just on the spur of the moment get her mapped on Saturday lol. So now running around 315.

Not sure on any other mods though yet. Will see.

You got any plans for yours?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 12 November 2019, 21:17 »
I think there’s possibly things lost in translation or deliberately ambiguously worded with the TCR press releases and spec sheets and I doubt there’s the same enthusiast following to go digging into part numbers comparing it to the Ed40 and CSS when it comes to steering and suspension.
Bearing in mind the amount of development put into the CSS I’d imagine there was far from a clean sheet of paper used in developing the TCR. Scale of economies and a proven parts bin from the CSS and Cupra Nurburgring record attempts to keep costs down. The suspension on my car, especially at the rear definitely looks more than 5mm lower than the Ed40.

The DSG of the track TCR possibly shares the basic mechanicals of the GTI/R ‘box but ratios and some components are likely bespoke to deal with abuse on a circuit. Would love to be proved wrong.

If I get a clear run later I’ll have a play in Sport once the engine and ‘box is fully warmed through.
Still running the car sans pedalbox and it definitely feels sharper without it than any of my previous mk7 iterations did.
it'll be exactly the same 7 speed dsg but possibly with different software. VW aren't going to bespoke a gearbox for one model of car so I'd say software.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 12 November 2019, 21:54 »
it'll be exactly the same 7 speed dsg but possibly with different software. VW aren't going to bespoke a gearbox for one model of car so I'd say software.

Agreed. Bmw are the same tbh. They generally always reuse the box but bespoke the software. So the M3 and the M3 GTS have the same DCT box but the software is the difference. A lot of guys just put the GTS software on their standard M3’s to achieve better/rawer shifts etc.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 13 November 2019, 13:01 »
@ rajb  Good to see you’ve mapped yours, the GTI responds so well to mapping. The extra torque is so useable day to day and it comes in nice and low in the rev range making gear changing almost unnecessary! 
I had a look at your thread on the works computer which made it much easier to view the wheels than on a little phone screen. They suit the car really well. Maybe keep them black over winter and have a rethink in spring. Sometimes it’s nice to make a change for changes sake.
I put darkish grey wheels on my white R and really liked the look.

No plans for modifying my TCR. I really like it as is, it’s plenty quick enough and looks as good as it’ll ever look!
After a lifetime of modding cars the last couple are actually plenty good enough straight out of the box (Ed40 and TCR and even my R I preferred standard to when I added stage 1)
Having said that I do have a set of S2T shifters and my ubiquitous six year old pedalbox to fit at some point. After boring everyone to death for years about it I’m obliged to fit the latter!
Oh, and the Audi 12v socket cover, my only ‘mod’ so far!!

@ mcmaddy  I meant the race series wide body cars having possibly uprated internals to cope with the extra power they push out and being driven flat out non stop. The factory road cars will obviously have standard production boxes shared with god knows how many different VAG cars. Whether the software is different to say an R or GTI P is anyone’s guess, VW are bound to ambiguously claim things in sales literature just to sell the things on its ‘features’.

I accidentally put the gearbox in S from cold start on the way to work last night Not realising. It was nice and snappy pulling out onto the main road but then refused to move from 3rd gear in the 40mph zone!
I quickly put it back into Individual mode settings to calm it down a bit.
D for gears
Normal for DCC
Sport for just about everything else
Eco for the Soundaktor.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 13 November 2019, 13:55 »

@ mcmaddy  I meant the race series wide body cars having possibly uprated internals to cope with the extra power they push out and being driven flat out non stop. The factory road cars will obviously have standard production boxes shared with god knows how many different VAG cars. Whether the software is different to say an R or GTI P is anyone’s guess, VW are bound to ambiguously claim things in sales literature just to sell the things on its ‘features’.

I accidentally put the gearbox in S from cold start on the way to work last night Not realising. It was nice and snappy pulling out onto the main road but then refused to move from 3rd gear in the 40mph zone!
I quickly put it back into Individual mode settings to calm it down a bit.
D for gears
Normal for DCC
Sport for just about everything else
Eco for the Soundaktor.

Mat Watson drove the proper TCR on the launch video and did a 0-60 in both and basically the race car was slower than the road car!

Might have been down to trying to launch a FWD car without warm tyres with 350bhp!

With regards to being in S, you can go back to D without having change the driving mode again.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 13 November 2019, 13:58 »
Mat Watson made a pig's ear of that start. Him and his stick of truth... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :smiley:
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints