Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362457 times)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
The TSI engine overall is a much better engine though (barring the chain tension in early version) it has so much more scope for power and the torque when mapped blows the FSi /TFSI (K03) away.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
As RocketRossUK advised, the work on mine has started. Good news until Ben rang to say we found some other issues, not only did the chain, tensioner and various guides need replacement, but one of the bearings had collapsed for one of the camshafts !!!! :cry:. But no problem VW would pick up the bill :smiley:. Pic below (hope it works !!!!!) of the wear by the failed bearing. Had it seized then the damage would have been a lot worse. Glad I got it sorted now.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Oh dear, thats not good.

Think Ben said mine in just chain and tensioner changing as the guide and other bits are fine. Think he is starting mine on Monday now. So more days in the Polo  :rolleyes:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Oh dear, thats not good.

Think Ben said mine in just chain and tensioner changing as the guide and other bits are fine. Think he is starting mine on Monday now. So more days in the Polo  :rolleyes:

Also forgot to mention that when the chain and tensioner gets changed it needs a full oil change as standard. My major service is due soon he said he would do the full major service for £199 as it will be getting brand new oil anyways. Results !!!  :smiley:

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
No not good at all. Car was booked in for a service anyway, so good timing really. Apologies if I have delayed yours but I guess they don't know what they will find until they open them up. Fingers crossed yours will be straight forward.

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
See my othe rthread, but basically its all going to be fixed for free! Result....

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=262786.30

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
Update, mine now back and cannot believe how quiet it is now. Bill was a fraction of what it should have been, very satisfied with the results, just a shame VW cannot do the right thing to start with.

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
See from your profile you are from MK. Which garage sorted you car?

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
VW Crosshills (near Skipton, North Yorkshire) :huh: why? Because its were I purchased the car from new, and their customer service is the best around. Well worth the 130 mile drive.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
VW Crosshills (near Skipton, North Yorkshire) :huh: why? Because its were I purchased the car from new, and their customer service is the best around. Well worth the 130 mile drive.

what final cost did you have to pay? Ben @ Crosshills should be calling me tomorrow for updates. Thinking mine should be done by Tuesday