Author Topic: DSG box mapping  (Read 1773 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
DSG box mapping
« on: 29 July 2020, 17:56 »
Does anyone have any experience of mapping the 7 spd DSG gearbox in the Mk 7.5 GTI PP? (in a bid to make changes quicker, and possibly alleviate the issue of the box wanting to be in 7th gear at 30mph?)  I'm hoping there might be a solution as effective as the peddle box is at solving the 'dead travel' in the accelerator peddle?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: DSG box mapping
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2020, 20:19 »
I've never heard anyone on here do the Dsg software upgrade. Plenty of them out there for a while now and by all accounts it makes a lot of difference.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2020, 20:35 »
I have the 6-speed, but it was remapped by DMS when they did my engine remap. It’s definitely better suited to the car now, it rides the clutch a lot less, the clamping force has been increased, and the manual mode is far more manual (eg no kickdown when you’ve manually selected a gear).

Well worth it, and I can’t imagine the 7-speed will be much different.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2020, 17:44 »
Is it the general concensus that the 7 speed box is noticeably worse for hesitation/1st gear engagement from a standstill?

Our Polo GTI+ has the DQ250 wet clutch 6 speed box and my A4 40 (190TDI) Avant Quattro has the newer 7 speed wet vltch box as you'd see on most facelift performance Golf 7.5s.

The Audi seems to take an eternity to pick up 1st from a standstill and move off, unless you prod the throttle about 3/4s before you actually want to move. It's a knack I've mainly gotten used to, but it is annoying you have to drive in this way.

I can only assume that it's intentional by VAG to preserve the clutch packs or to facilitate comfort - or both.

Both boxes feather the gear changes in on the move very noticeably but the Polo GTI+ has a much quicker pick-up of 1st.

I wonder if it's tied to vehicle weight also?

The Polo GTI+ is no lightweight for it's size, weighing barely less than a manual 3 door MK7 Golf GTI, but it's got to be easier on the clutch pulling that rather than the A4 (which weighs about 40kg more than a MK7 DSG Golf R.

If car weight is a consideration, I'd expect the R to take a little longer to engage 1st at a standstill than a GTI.

The amount of feathering-in you experience with a DSG is huge. Those quoted 0-62mph times you see for a DSG R trouncing a manual R must only be possible if feathering-in isn't taking place, with launch control - presumably that's why you (apparently, was it ever proven?) only get 200 launches before your DSG gearbox warranty is toast.

I'd like to get a DSG remap on the A4 to reduce the 1st gear engagement time, not sure it's necessary on the Polo GTI+, but warranty implications are always a worry.

The hesitancy seems considerably less in proper manual mode (gear lever slotted left)
« Last Edit: 01 August 2020, 18:15 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2020, 19:23 »
Does anyone have any experience of mapping the 7 spd DSG gearbox in the Mk 7.5 GTI PP? (in a bid to make changes quicker, and possibly alleviate the issue of the box wanting to be in 7th gear at 30mph?)  I'm hoping there might be a solution as effective as the peddle box is at solving the 'dead travel' in the accelerator peddle?

APR have a DSG 7 speed map. If you go for APR stage 1 there is a standard and high torque map. If you want the high torque map on the 7 speed, it’s also recommended to do the DSG software. Manual cars are advised to go with low torque as the clutch is made of chocolate.

I don’t know if you can just do the APR DSG 7 speed map on its own. Give Regal a call as they just did a 7.5 GTI PP stage 1 high torque with the DSG software upgrade. The guys there know their stuff and probably will will be able to advise.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2020, 20:57 »
Tvs is supposed to be the best gearbox map.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2020, 14:34 »
I have stage 3 DSG mapping on my 7speed 7.5R.
It is excellent. Much smoother than standard, gearchanges are whip sharp and it has a choice of settings to go for when first installed by the dealer.

TVS, APR, UGP, Ecotune, R-Tech and a few others all have dsg tunes.👍

Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2020, 14:55 »
Racingline, Unicorn and Mountune also do it.

I'm running the mountune DSG map on my 6 speed Mk7 and love the difference, just seems more natural than stock.  Mountune don't have an option to by the DSG map without the stage 1 ECU map though.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2020, 11:36 by TippEx »
2016 GTI PP.  Mountune52 Stage 1