Author Topic: WLAN stopped working  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
WLAN stopped working
« on: 04 August 2020, 13:29 »
Hmm, my Wireless LAN connection doesn't appear to be working. I can get the car to connect to my phone via the wireless hotspot feature (under WLAN, it shows as connected), but the little WLAN icon at the top of the infotainment screen is greyed out meaning I have no internet connection to the VW connected Apps (On line traffic, weather, parking etc.).

I know a lot of you hate this but I've always found it really quite useful and it's been working flawlessly up until lunchtime yesterday. Then (as I say) it seems to connect to my Phone's WiFi hotspot (as it always has), but doesn't actually show the icon or actually connect to the internet. Been working flawlessly since I got the car over 2 years ago, and nothing ha changed in the past few days ?

Don't know if it's connected, but I've tried to log into my VW We connect (app connect) website on the PC, and it says "your login to We Connect has failed. Please try later" ? Don't know if that means the site is down or if somehow my account has been scrambled ? Co-incidence or not ?

Has anyone else noticed this issue or can't access their we-connect portal ?
« Last Edit: 04 August 2020, 16:33 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
Re: WLAN stopped working
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2020, 16:06 »
Just tried to login and getting the same failed message.
TCR 3 door

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2020, 16:08 »
I keep the getting the welcome to car Net message. Highly annoying.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2020, 16:22 »
It’s just this sort of thing that made me lose interest. The infrastructure behind The apps and services seems to be flaky and low powered, like VW need to spend more money on servers and stuff.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2020, 16:28 »
Assuming you made no changes to your settings, this will almost certainly be at VW's server end... My previous BMW's did this from time to time... at one point it got really annoying how much it was down...

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2020, 17:49 »
Are you sure you're not on some kind of subscription service that has ran out and needs renewing?

My A4 has a convoluted Audi connect subscription service that updates the Nav maps among other things. It runs out, but because Audi haven't put a system in place to charge for it yet, you've got to call Audi up and ask for a free renewal.

Maybe VW are doing something similar and you need to renew (hopefully for free).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2020, 18:00 »
I am just reading a similar issue reported on the Golf MK7 Facebook page, so yes. almost certainly an issue at VW end.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2020, 18:09 »
It's a very flaky system, mine has been back to VW 3 weeks ago for an update on the software as when I contacted carnet they said the factory build only supported android phones up to android 8 for obtaining a WiFi hotspot,  Most android phones are running version 10.  When I got the car back after subsequent update it still didn't work even though I now had an hotspot internet connection...then few days after this it suddenly connected to internet whilst driving and carnet features started working, my thoughts are the system struggles with the 4G signal possibly? But I've kinda given up with it tbh, I do miss the live traffic on satnav which was always up to date via internet, but now rely on Google maps for traffic and don't think I'll miss anything else. Not the point really when you're paying for something I guess.

My carnet car symbol and location icons are both lit but internet globe just greyed out...

If it helps I've got several troubleshooting instructions from car net I can share.

Mines a 2017 facelift model with standard discover unit fitted

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2020, 19:01 »
Are you sure you're not on some kind of subscription service that has ran out and needs renewing?

My A4 has a convoluted Audi connect subscription service that updates the Nav maps among other things. It runs out, but because Audi haven't put a system in place to charge for it yet, you've got to call Audi up and ask for a free renewal.

Maybe VW are doing something similar and you need to renew (hopefully for free).

Doesn’t expire until May 7th 2021 bud.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2020, 08:14 »
Everything seems to be back up and running, so it must have been the website being down ?