Author Topic: DTUK Pedalbox  (Read 44716 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: DTUK Pedalbox
« Reply #90 on: 08 March 2018, 19:16 »
I ordered one of these yesterday afternoon from DTUK and it arrived this morning via Royal Mail Special Delivery.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/products-overview/?key=DTUK+Pedal+Box+Plus

It took me about half an hour to fit using Booth11's excellent instructions here...........

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/13010-mk7-r-how-to-fit-a-dtuk-pedalbox/

I had no problems unplugging or reconnecting any of the plugs/sockets as mentioned in this and other forums and the device is now sat in the small glove box by the driver's right knee. It definitely makes everything easier if you remove the small panel to the left of the OBD-11 socket - it requires a T15 torx bit. A small torch and a soft mat to lie on definitely facilitate the procedure.

I have had a short drive round the block and the accelerator pedal definitely seems more responsive. A more comprehensive road-test will follow tomorrow when I have more time.

Worth playing about with settings a bit to see what suits your driving style etc. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline BristolBob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #91 on: 09 March 2018, 13:16 »
It's even easier if you just remove that little cubby box and put your hand in through there to connect the plug. Two minutes and it's fitted.

What is the best way to do this? I had a look at it this morning and couldn't work out how to remove it.

Golf GTI 7.5 PP DSG 2017

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #92 on: 09 March 2018, 13:55 »
It's even easier if you just remove that little cubby box and put your hand in through there to connect the plug. Two minutes and it's fitted.

What is the best way to do this? I had a look at it this morning and couldn't work out how to remove it.

Just squeeze the sides near the top very hard and the lugs will clear the opening. A bit brutal but the plastic is quite flexible.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #93 on: 09 March 2018, 14:23 »
As Mr Ex says above. You have to squeeze hard and it’s easier if you can get one side to release first then quickly do the other side.

Another forum but some guide pics here. 

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/13010-mk7-r-how-to-fit-a-dtuk-pedalbox/?do=findComment&comment=318739
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline BristolBob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #94 on: 09 March 2018, 15:45 »

Just squeeze the sides near the top very hard and the lugs will clear the opening. A bit brutal but the plastic is quite flexible.

I've had another go at this and the cubby popped open quite easily. I don't know what I was doing wrong before!  Anyway, it's a bit academic now as I fitted the device by removing the small panel next to the OBD2 port.

Many thanks to all for the advice.
Golf GTI 7.5 PP DSG 2017

Offline JeffPoe

• Not said much yet
« Reply #95 on: 11 March 2018, 22:48 »
Out of curiosity, can somebody explain to me what is wrong with the standard throttle (as long as its in sport mode)?

The only thing I don't like is how there is a second step in the actual mechanical part - like some sort of auto kick down, even though its a manual.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #96 on: 11 March 2018, 23:01 »
Out of curiosity, can somebody explain to me what is wrong with the standard throttle (as long as its in sport mode)?

The only thing I don't like is how there is a second step in the actual mechanical part - like some sort of auto kick down, even though its a manual.

If you find the standard throttle pedal fine then you don’t need a pedalbox. Simple as that really.
If you’ve ever driven a car with a carburettor then you’ll understand the difference in response to the mushy dead responses of later generation Golfs in give and take driving.
Pedalbox = doing ballet in ballet shoes.
Standard = doing ballet in deep sea diving boots
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #97 on: 12 March 2018, 09:02 »

You mean the gate at the bottom of the pedal travel?

That's for when you use the speed limiter, if you kick down through that it overrides the speed limiter...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #98 on: 12 March 2018, 14:00 »
If you find the standard throttle pedal fine then you don’t need a pedalbox. Simple as that really.
If you’ve ever driven a car with a carburettor then you’ll understand the difference in response to the mushy dead responses of later generation Golfs in give and take driving.
Pedalbox = doing ballet in ballet shoes.
Standard = doing ballet in deep sea diving boots

Can't say I've driven many carburetor cars but this non-linear throttle behaviour has frustrated me in all my VAG cars, very eager to see if this box will translate my foot movement to an equal throttle opening, got a used one from a member here and should arrive any day now.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #99 on: 15 March 2018, 16:42 »
Connection took literally 30 seconds (anyone that has done a JB1/4 installation will feel at home  :grin:) but trying to place the controller inside the driver's cubby on a LHD car it seems as there is no space between the cubby's back and the fuses panel to fit the thick pedalbox cable. When I try to push the cubby box fully in place it feels like I'm squeezing the cable too much for comfort (or it could be the resistance from the locking tabs trying to push back in??) so not sure If I should proceed. Here's two photos:

Update: It was a matter of pushing the cubby in more firmly so that the lower locking tabs click into place, then the sides ones and there's just enough clearance for the cable to squeeze behind, easier when the cubby is open.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2018, 21:51 by scanesare »