Author Topic: DTUK Pedalbox  (Read 45111 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: DTUK Pedalbox
« Reply #120 on: 24 April 2018, 12:44 »
Fitting tips here

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276517.0

You can either remove the flat trim panel removing a single Torx screw, or remove the drivers side storage cubby for access.  Details of install and removal of storage cubby in this vwroc guide.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/13010-mk7-r-how-to-fit-a-dtuk-pedalbox/

.......Also, if one were to have the car in say Eco and the pedal box in sport plus does it differ vastly to having the car in Sport and the pedal box in Sport Plus? Obviously the differences in Eco and Sport are throttle response, steering etc, so say the car is in Eco and the box is in Sport Plus would it from an acceleration/ throttle response be the same as the car would be in Sport mode without the box, I hope I'm being clear enough.

I guess the answer will depend on whether the pedalbox is just amplifying the std throttle sensor signal, or altering it.  I have read elsewhere it is just an amplifier, but have no idea if that is correct.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #121 on: 25 April 2018, 09:24 »

I guess the answer will depend on whether the pedalbox is just amplifying the std throttle sensor signal, or altering it.  I have read elsewhere it is just an amplifier, but have no idea if that is correct.

Yes it's an adjustable amplifier.
All the different settings are useful for when you're setting it up to suit your driving style, it doesn't take too long to find which one suits you best.
Eco mode actually dumbs down the ECU side of throttle response and makes the car pretty dull to drive. It won't make the car much more economical, the only reason it's Eco is because it encourages you to use the throttle more lightly by making it non responsive, and that's just what you don't want in a sports hatch.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline PKBA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #122 on: 03 May 2018, 10:40 »
I've had my new GTI for just four weeks now and this thread has convinced me to order a pedal box. I've never added any modification to any car over nearly 40 year of driving but this one seems like a no brainer! Having changed from a BMW 235i i miss the instant pick up and feel, like other posters, that VW seems to 'nanny' the way the throttle response is modulated. I look forward to reporting back on it once received and fitted.
Arrived 4/4/18 - GTI PP 5dr, dsg, Isaac Blue, DCC, rear view camera, keyless entry.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 03 May 2018, 11:27 »
I've had my new GTI for just four weeks now and this thread has convinced me to order a pedal box. I've never added any modification to any car over nearly 40 year of driving but this one seems like a no brainer! Having changed from a BMW 235i i miss the instant pick up and feel, like other posters, that VW seems to 'nanny' the way the throttle response is modulated. I look forward to reporting back on it once received and fitted.

You won’t half notice a difference.

Why did you bin the 235i for a GTI? 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline PKBA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #124 on: 04 May 2018, 11:03 »
Binned the 235i because of practicality and lease costs  :cry: (personal lease with company car allowance) loved it as a midlife crisis toy (OK I'm a bit beyond midlife now!!)

Circumstances now changed hence swap to GTi !  Thoroughly enjoying it and will enjoy it more when the pedalbox arrives!
Arrived 4/4/18 - GTI PP 5dr, dsg, Isaac Blue, DCC, rear view camera, keyless entry.

Offline PKBA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #125 on: 06 May 2018, 16:15 »
Just installed the pedal box - it took no more than 5 mins and was very easy, (and I'm a pretty hamfisted 54 year old generally!!). What a change, it really is a huge step un in throttle response and I echo everything that other forum members have said. So if any one is hovering over whether to do it or not just go for it; the pick up on just tickling the throttle is miles better, it's already given me far more confidence, particularly in entering roundabouts and getting out of 't' junctions swiftly - here's to many more happy miles of fun motoring - heading from Surrey to the SW coast of Scotland next week and the car is just about run in now at 750 miles - so some great roads through Dumfries and Galloway to play on! :smiley:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #126 on: 06 May 2018, 16:34 »
Just installed the pedal box - it took no more than 5 mins and was very easy, (and I'm a pretty hamfisted 54 year old generally!!). What a change, it really is a huge step un in throttle response and I echo everything that other forum members have said. So if any one is hovering over whether to do it or not just go for it; the pick up on just tickling the throttle is miles better, it's already given me far more confidence, particularly in entering roundabouts and getting out of 't' junctions swiftly - here's to many more happy miles of fun motoring - heading from Surrey to the SW coast of Scotland next week and the car is just about run in now at 750 miles - so some great roads through Dumfries and Galloway to play on! :smiley:

Glad you're pleased! For a relatively small amount it gives back so much more! Great value and easy mod! I've recently tweeked mine up to sport with two green lights with the car set to normal which seems to be about the same as with one green light but the car set to sport. I quite like the soundaktor but I don't always want it as loud so this seems a good compromise.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #127 on: 06 May 2018, 17:03 »
Most effective value for money mod there is. Car is not complete without a pedalbox imo. It’s just putting there what should have been there from the factory!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #128 on: 07 May 2018, 12:21 »
Mine had its 1st service!! (Ok £140 oil change, although I badgered a litre of free helix out of them)
Drove down to Swindon with PB in factory mode and seriously it was the worst drive I've had or can remember in the R, the car had to be in Sport mode and even then the amount of work needed to keep it on the boil was unbelievable.
Needless to say, it was reset to sport + for the blast home. The difference is such that the car feels de-tuned ordinary even.
Not sure if it's more noticeable in the R as my partners 7 GTI doesn't have quite the same lifeless pedal. Although I no longer enjoy driving it due to poor ride and perceived gutlessness.

Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #129 on: 10 May 2018, 16:11 »
Just switched mine off as also going in for a service tomorrow. I don't like it switched off.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.