Author Topic: HOW TO: Retrofit an RNS510 Sat Nav System.  (Read 151625 times)

Offline Aidy06

• GTI forum regular
Re: HOW TO: Retrofit an RNS510 Sat Nav System.
« Reply #30 on: 23 March 2013, 14:01 »
Ok thanks mate

Hi Rob, I have one for sale if you're interested

Offline GMADS

• Just got here
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2015, 14:11 »
Hi guys

Yes, this is an old thread, and yes this is my first post ... but I'd appreciate a bit of help if poss as I'm now stuck.

I have a 2010 B6 Passat that shipped with the RNS 510.  Sat nav went down a few weeks ago and I figured it was a faulty GPS antenna.  Found this thread and eventually ordered a replacement.  Installed it just now using the steps illustrated here but my RNS 510 only finds 1-4 satellites (out of 12) max.  Drove around for a bit and no change.  It still thinks I'm in Germany!

The car has a shark fin which I assume houses the antenna and MUST now be the one that needs replacing?  Really don't fancy taking the roof lining etc apart.  Or is there another fix?

Thanks

GMADS

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2015, 14:25 »
How far have you driven round? It took around 5-6 miles before mine knew where it was.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline GMADS

• Just got here
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2015, 15:01 »
About 10 miles.

Had split screen nav on so I could keep track of the satellites, hence knowing they varied between 1-4 throughout.

The original antenna lead I removed was heavily insulated and it looked like part of it was fixed to a plate behind the head unit.  Didn't want to take the climate control stuff out to take a proper look.  The lead was also mighty hard to take out - had to use pliers.  The one I've fitted only goes on hand tight.

Offline GMADS

• Just got here
« Reply #34 on: 20 February 2015, 10:29 »
Drove around this morning with the antenna sat ON the dash.  Picked up 7 satellites and GPS was back on form.  I guess there is some metal around the central air vents breaking the signal when it's tucked inside.

At least some kind of progress is being made.

Offline Brighton_GTD

• Just got here
« Reply #35 on: 25 January 2018, 23:25 »
Any chance these photos can be uploaded somewhere else. Can’t view and get the message “Please update your account to enable 3rd Party Hosting”. Is it just me or same for all.