Author Topic: 2012 - GTD wont start? - "Fault in the alternator" light  (Read 2373 times)

Offline brown.jamesa

• Not said much yet
Hi all,

Up until now I have had no problems with my car until this morning when I tried to start it as normal.

When turning the key to start the car, on turning half way round lights up the standard lights, but noticed that the battery icon (red) does not disappear and when trying to turn the engine over, it failes to start like there is not enough battery.

I have looked at the Acid Level Indicator on the battery and it is showing as Black, so that should be OK.

Looking at the manual the icon's description is "Fault in the alternator"

Haven't tried to jump start the car yet (will do in a bit), but does this sound like I need a new alternator?

Any ideas of what the problem is?

Dont really want to spend any big money on fixing it, as looking to buy a new Golf 7.5 as soon as the order books open.

Cheers
James

Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP (67)
Past: Mk6 GTD (12), Mk5 GT TDI 140 (54)

Offline brown.jamesa

• Not said much yet
Re: 2012 - GTD wont start? - "Fault in the alternator" light
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2017, 17:03 »
Well it starts using jump leads and after a 5 min drive, all the lights are now out and when I got back home turned it off and on again and it starts...

So I think the battery might be on its way out... or having the car sitting there for 5 days in the cold did not help.

Cheers anyway.

James

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2017, 17:04 »
Is it the first time that light has been on? Sounds like the battery is flat, and the alternator hasn't charged it, which is the reason I asked if it's the first time it's been on.

Have you a multimeter? To test the voltage in the battery, mine normally reads 14v with ignition off, 13 with ignition on, and normally 12.2ish when cranking, any less than that normally means battery is duff.

Can you use another car to jump the car off? To see if you can get it started first of all, if you can and the battery light stays on, then the alternator sounds duff, have you checked any connections, to the battery at least? Loose connections can cause problems too.

Where are you based? Someone close maybe also be able to put it on there VCDS lead.

Hope I've helped
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2017, 17:06 »
Lol, just noticed you've replied while I was typing...test it using a voltmeter, and make a decision then...the cold definitely won't help, might need a new battery...if i were you, buy the best you can afford, and one with a warranty...Halfords do some good quality ones, for a reasonable price too.
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi

Offline brown.jamesa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2017, 17:12 »
Lol, just noticed you've replied while I was typing...test it using a voltmeter, and make a decision then...the cold definitely won't help, might need a new battery...if i were you, buy the best you can afford, and one with a warranty...Halfords do some good quality ones, for a reasonable price too.

Cheers for your advice, the light when out after the car started, so it sounds like the battery.

I will grab a multimeter off my Father in Law tomorrow and check if the levels are low and will buy a new battery if needed, but will aim for a budget one as the car will be gone in then 2-4 months with any luck :-)

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2017, 17:14 by brown.jamesa »

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2017, 17:14 »
No prob, hope you sort it out  :smiley:
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi